Ibanez AS120 Pickup Upgrade

• 4 Replies

Offline picatainhas

• View Profile
Ibanez AS120 Pickup Upgrade
« on: December 06, 2015, 05:54:17 PM »
So quite basic question that i couldn't find an answer using search!!

I got an Ibanez AS120 (Gibson ES335 clone) that supposedly has some good pickups for jazz (Super 58?!?!?). I love the sound of the pickups clean (both bridge and neck), however beside whenever i try to use some crunch/overdrive the sound is very "messy... i think that what people normally name as muddy.

The sound is muddy whether thru a Peavey Mh20 with a 212 cab (Celestion V30), a using either a nova system, fulltone ocd or a lovepedal od11... Also i notice that using effects also creates a muddy sound (again, using nova system, mxr carbon copy or alter ego v2). I got exactly the same beahviour when using the guitar directly connect to audio interface and using amplitube3.

By the way, as a comparasion, i use a strat with a symour duncan everything axe set (except the bridge was exchanged by a dimarzio tone zone) i, while differente as expected, i am nowhere near of the level of muddiness i get with the AS120.

I would like to upgrade the pickups of the AS120 in order to be able to get some versatility, however i would like to have some directions.
I need good cleans but also good distortions (taking advantage of good sustain capabilities of the guitar).
I understand that an hollow body suffers of feedback, more than a solid body, so it's another thing to keep in mind.

I play covers mainly, from Beatles/Stones, to Queen, Ac/Dc,Muse,u2!!!

Any (justified) suggestions?

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: Ibanez AS120 Pickup Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 01:39:44 AM »
Something tells me you might like the 36th anniversary PAF set

Offline picatainhas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »
OK i made a query Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio and BareknuclePickups, here are the suggestions so far

Offical "Tech" Line:
Dimarzio: Paf Masters Set
Seymour Duncan: Pearly Gates Set
Bareknuckle: RiffRaff Set

Official Foruns:
Dimarzio: Paf 36th Anniversary Set
Seymour Duncan : <none so far> :(
Bareknuckle: Mules Set

any addons?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
I would go with a PAF 36th neck and a PAF Master bridge setup. I haven't tried the Pearly Gates in years and honestly can't remember how they sound anymore.

As the former Main dealer in Canada for the Bare Knuckle stuff, both the Riff Raff and Mules could work but I would go with the Mule Neck and the Riff Raff bridge to broaden the versatility.

Personally I'd go with the PAF 36/PAF Master combo over the Mule/Riff Raff combo because I always found the BKP's to be a tad on the brighter side and I like the growl that the PAF Master brings(I do like that the PAF Master does let me to higher gain tones better than the Riff Raff). You can't go wrong with either one really.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
I'd have to go with budroyce on the 36th in the neck. I'd personally prefer the 36th Bridge in the bridge over the PAF Master...but that's just my preference.  Maybe the basic 36th in neck and bridge for more classic/vintage.

BKP makes good stuff and there are a few models I really like, but there is nothing particular so special to warrant the price, outside of the logo graphic. I could rattle off a few boutique shops, but the 36th/36th or the 36th/36th Bridge will get you there fine. PAF Master if you prefer a throatier vibe.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram