Tone Zone S, Super Distortion S or Fast Track 2?

• 5 Replies

toneseeker74

Tone Zone S, Super Distortion S or Fast Track 2?
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:15 AM »
I have a poplar body Strat with maple neck & fretboard. Vintage style vibrato bridge with steel sustain block. I want to install some DiMarzio rail humbuckers in the bridge and neck. I have push-pull pots to split to single coil mode. I want to cover blues to hard rock/early heavy metal (70's-80's). Amp is a Traynor YBA-1. Using Celestion Vintage 30s or Weber Thames in a 4x12.

I want to get warm cleans when the volume is rolled back and in split mode for each pickup. Will use a Satch Track or Chopper in the neck. What do you recommend for a punchy bridge pickup that has a full-to-midrange focus and leans more toward bite than smooth...Tone Zone S, Super Distortion S, or Fast Track 2?

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
Re: Tone Zone S, Super Distortion S or Fast Track 2?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »
I like the same musical listing also.  I would lean toward the Super Distortion S.  Some say it's a one trick pony, but I use my volume knob alot and it will clean up when you roll it down.  I just put a Chopper neck, Fast track 1 mid and full size super d in the bridge of my strat and I love it.
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:49:23 AM »
As much as i love super d, the S version isn't exactly a pickup I'd say does split and clean tones that well. For your needs I'd pick the tone zone s instead. To my ears the they arent that different once overdriven as much as their hummie versions are but tzs does sound better clean and split between the two.

That said, never played either on poplar so ymmv.

Offline PaulLester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:09:16 AM »
I loved the Tone Zone, Chopper and Air Norton in Billy Corgan strat. Amazing piece. Tone Zone can really do everything. Many guys said that it's too "metal oriented", but I don't agree, it's really a versatile piece.

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:26:16 AM »
Your right the TONE ZONE is extremely versatile, blues rock,indie rock,grunge,stoner, shred, fusion(roll off volume or tone.....or both),hey Michael Romeo uses it in the NECK!!! with an x2n in the bridge. The TZ has a very low mid thump(at least to me) which IMO gives notes a certain "thrust" yet it's warm,far from sterile & mean sounding. Tone Zones remind me of "undiscovered guitar hero" tone:aggressive, in yo face,not polite & ready to fight.My favorite pu

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »
If you're looking at the Tone Zone S, you may also want to consider the BC-2.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter