What is the best pickups to pair with humbucker from hell?

• 8 Replies

domica

« on: October 25, 2015, 06:27:51 AM »
Hi, everyone.

I want to upgrade my pickups.
My guitar has a mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard, with a tune-o-matic.
I used to play Garage rock and Pop rock. (Sometimes Alternative)

I want to use humbucker from hell in neck.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: What is the best pickups to pair with humbucker from hell?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:29:02 AM »
The HFH is pretty bright so you might want something to be similar in brightness and that will balance well tonally.
First that comes to mind is the Norton; its super-versatile and works for everything. If you want something more 'classic' Id check out the PAF Master, PAF Pro or Breed Neck (ordered from low to high in output).

But maybe you want a darker, meatier pickup? In that case the Tone Zone/Air Zone, Transition or Gravity Storm might work.

None of them will suck but if you have what seems to be a LP-style guitar the AZ/TZ can be a tad overwhelming in the bass.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »
I have a HFH in an Ibanez RG. I don't find it particularly bright. A PAF Pro in the bridge is way brighter. It is a bit underpowered compared to most of Dimarzio's high output pickups. That is the obstacle that I ran into trying to find a bridge to match. I found that the Breed, Tone Zone, and the Air Zone overpowered the HFH in a way I didn't like the balance of.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:44:03 AM »
I have a HFH in an Ibanez RG. I don't find it particularly bright. A PAF Pro in the bridge is way brighter. It is a bit underpowered compared to most of Dimarzio's high output pickups. That is the obstacle that I ran into trying to find a bridge to match. I found that the Breed, Tone Zone, and the Air Zone overpowered the HFH in a way I didn't like the balance of.
Its not super-bright per se but compared with, say, an Air Norton its very bright so you might want to keep that in mind when choosing a bridge pickup.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:16:59 AM by jazzfromhell »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
Anything is bright compared to an Air Norton.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »
So far, the FRED and PAF Pro works well with the HFH. Gonna try a Mo' Joe soon and see if it works too

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
I have a Fred on its way to pair with my HFH. I will try to remember to update once it arrives.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »
Update: Went from a FRED and HFH setup to a Mo' Joe and HFH setup. Definitely prefer the tone now. More controllable upper midrange sear, for the lack of better words, and perhaps a bit more low midrange chunk, especially noticeable with power chord riffing. I really enjoy the changes. IMO, Mo' Joe works great too with the HFH
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:21:28 PM by KH Guitar Freak »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 12:04:30 AM »
The Fred is working great with the HFH. The output balances well, and the tones are not too drastically different. The Fred is surprisingly versatile. I don't know why I haven't tried one before.