DM Area T + Bill Lawrence L-500

• 2 Replies

Offline rgand

• View Profile
DM Area T + Bill Lawrence L-500
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »
I'm looking to put a very early Bill Lawrence L-500 Neck with a DM Area T 615 at the bridge. The wiring on the DM is standard. The Bill Lawrence isn't. It must have been made before they standardized things. It only has red, white and black wires plus a shielding.

The guitar the L-500 is in has the shield and black to ground and the red to the pickup switch. The white was just taped off. Does anyone know what that white wire does? Although new ones evidently have a green wire also, there are no other wires coming from this pickup.

I tested it and both coils are live and the tone is good so it's working as a humbucker.

I could just hook it up the same with the DM and see how it works. If things are out of whack, I could then reverse the hot and ground on the DM. I don't want to miss some wiring option that might be good to have, though.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DM Area T + Bill Lawrence L-500
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
The white wire is the series link. Put it to ground you run the pickup as a single coil.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline rgand

• View Profile
Re: DM Area T + Bill Lawrence L-500
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
The white wire is the series link. Put it to ground you run the pickup as a single coil.

Cheers Stephan
I suspected something like that. I have a push/pull control pot I can put in to take advantage of that. Many thanks.