Strings not aligned on pickup poles?

• 1 Replies

Offline gamb

• View Profile
Strings not aligned on pickup poles?
« on: November 01, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
So this guitar isn't the highest quality, but it has served me well.  It's a Photogenic brand Les Paul copy, and I've always kind of thought maybe the high strings sounded a little weak but I also assumed that was just my imagination, because I'm still early in the learning process and only really know enough about guitars to be dangerous.  Having said that, I was paying closer attention to it today and I noticed that the pole pieces are pretty far off.  Is this enough to really matter? I was considering buying a Super Distortion for the bridge to upgrade from the stock pickups, but since it's not really an heirloom-level guitar I was also thinking maybe I could just sell it and save up for something closer to the $400-$500 range (used). It does have some sentimental value being that it's the guitar I learned how to play on, so if you guys/gals think the picture below isn't really an issue I'll trust you all. I suppose I could always go with a rail-style pickup like an Activator-X or a Dimebucker and then string spacing wouldn't matter, but that seems like just putting a bandaid on what might otherwise be a larger problem.

Thanks!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Strings not aligned on pickup poles?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 03:36:06 AM »
Hi,

Do you hear any string having lower output than the others? If not, it is a visual issue first and foremost. The good thing - at least by looking at your pictures - is that the strings run inside the polepieces and should therefore be well within the magnetic field.

I personally only encountered volume difference problems where the high e ran outside the polepieces. I actually have one guitar where the neck pickup string spacing looks pretty much like yours, and no audible problem.

So I would say keep on playing that axe if you like its feeling.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b