DimarzioForum.Com > Gear Closet

Baritone Amp Suggestions

<< < (3/3)

The_Spell:
Now, is that the Katana combo or just the Katana head? Would I be able to use the head without a cab or would I be better of with the combo?

HarlowTheFish:

--- Quote from: The_Spell on June 26, 2019, 12:48:52 AM ---Now, is that the Katana combo or just the Katana head? Would I be able to use the head without a cab or would I be better of with the combo?

--- End quote ---
That's the head with the line out. You can use headphones with it, and it's usable without a cab (either with no speaker volume just in Standby with the line out or at 30 watts with these tiny built-in speakers it has), but if you want the big amp-in-the-room sound (which from what you've said I think might be too loud for you) then you want the cab, ideally.
If you get a Katana combo, you really want the Artist 1x12. The head and 2x12 are like $150 more total, but IMO gives you a lot more versatility (you have the internal speakers, line out, and cab) and if you want to upgrade stuff in the future you can keep the Katana cab with a new head or swap out the cab and keep the Kat head.
Either one will do what you want, it's just a matter of form factor. Same wattage, and you can run a cab out of the Kat Artist combo if you want. I like head and cab because I used my DV Mark 2x12 for seating and the Kat Head's internal speakers as a sound system in my dorm room, and I could pack the head and effects in a duffle bag and carry my guitar in one hand and cab in the other. I had a Katana 50 combo at the same time and had trouble getting the speaker to push air at neighbor-friendly volumes while still sounding passable whereas the head with the internal speakers would be fine if a little thin, but good for practice.
TL;DR: Get the combo if space is really limited or get the head with a long speaker cable and put some cushions on the cab and use it as a stool.

HarlowTheFish:
So here's an idea

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PtqqScLx5GsADNQPZ066ukDuipjotRZi

Sweetwater was blowing out the Elektron Analog Drive for $99 this past weekend and I picked one up. This is the Analog Drive, straight into my interface, with some random IR I got on the Axe FX forums and a free IR loader (the dirty bits have a noise gate and the clean has some reverb). CL6 in drop A for the first few riffs (the first one is the Big Dist circuit, the second Focused Dist, and the third High Gain), then the Strandy in Drop C (Dirty Drive circuit) and D Standard (with the Clean Boost as a clean preamp of sorts). These are like $200 new, $150ish used, and this (or something similar like the Strymon Sunset or Riverside) with a good clean amp (and the Mustang's actually got a pretty good clean) is a pretty versatile setup. If you want to upgrade the amp, something like a Blues Junior would work well with it.
It's a different approach, depends on what you're looking for. Just a thought  ;)

chad25:
A fender or similar amp would be good for baritone. For example, Champion combos are great and affordable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version