Is this wiring possible?

• 4 Replies

platinumgeo

Is this wiring possible?
« on: April 29, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
Hi,

I am somewhat new to guitar wiring and modding but here it goes:

I am currently working on a Fender Squire fitted with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil pickup in the neck. My idea is to install a push/pull switch for splitting the coils of the humbucker, however, I would add an additional switch in order to choose which coil is active.

So when the push/pull is down, the humbucker is normal and the switch does nothing. But when it is up, the coils become split and then you choose which coil you wish to use (i.e. North coil only/South coil only) using the switch. Ideally, I would want the switch to be an on/on switch with no middle position, so the push/pull would basically act as the middle position on the switch when down.

This would then go to a 3-way pickup selector switch allowing you to have multiple combinations of sounds with the pickups.

If anyone is able to give me tips and advice on how I would achieve this and what switch I would need, that would be great!

I'd imagine this would be quite a complex wiring situation but I'm willing to give it a go if it is possible!   ;D

Sorry if I've explained this poorly.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Is this wiring possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 10:03:01 PM »
It might be easier to wire the humbucker into a mini toggle 3-way switch that let's you choose north coil, south coil or humbucker.

See this:

https://guitarelectronics.com/1-humbucker-1-volume-north-coil-humbucker-south-coil/

Just take the output from the ON-ON-ON switch and treat it like a single conductor pickup to your pickup selector switch.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 04:46:59 AM »
Bear in mind that one of the bridge coils will be out of phase with the neck without also adding a switch to account for that one combination.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
Bear in mind that one of the bridge coils will be out of phase with the neck without also adding a switch to account for that one combination.

It won't be out of phase electrically, just magnetically.  So one coil of your humbucker will cancel hum when in parallel with your single coil, one won't.  If they are standard coil polarity, the neck side coil of your humbucker will be the one that cancels hum with the single coil.

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
Easy. All you have to do it take the series connection from the humbucker, and have a switch that either connects it to ground or hot. That will choose one coil or the other.  The push pull would between the series connection and the coil select switch. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk