Air Norton in the neck is too boomy, hot, round, and tubular

• 7 Replies

Offline jbandy10

• View Profile
Air Norton in the neck is too boomy, hot, round, and tubular
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:16:52 PM »
I know that's a lot of words to describe my situation.

Allow me to elaborate.

I have an RG920qm that is my #1 by a mile.  I mean, a real dream to play. 

The Air Zone I have in the bridge is bar none my favorite pickup of all time in this guitar.  It NAILS overwound les paul PAF tones in this guitar.  An amazing thing for sure.  Oh, and it splits amazingly, too.

I've had an air norton in this guitar for a while, and I've kept it in the guitar for one reason.  The parallel wired tone of it is amazing.  The pickup wired normally just sounds butt in my particular guitar.  The leads sound way too boomy and round.  It's a bit too hot as well.

My concern is, I know these pickups sounds great split BECAUSE they are unmatched coil designs.  Unfortunately I just can't live with the booty lead tones of the air norton anymore.

Is there a pickup that has the unmatched coil thing that the AN does, but also is a bit less hot and a touch less bassy?

Offline Timius

• View Profile
Re: Air Norton in the neck is too boomy, hot, round, and tubular
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 12:15:07 AM »
I don't know about the unmatched coils off the top of my head but I think the PAF Pro or a Fred in the neck might be the answer. 

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:56:42 AM »
I have only heard the PAF (older model), Air Norton and Bluesbucker in the neck, and of those three I would recommend the Bluesbucker.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:01:50 AM »
Either don't know about the unmatched coils or parallel sound, but for fat but clear not boomy neck humbucker sound try the PAF 36th bridge for neck.
I have a non f-spaced one in the neck one of my guitars and it's really impressive.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
The PAF Pro + Tone Zone is a great combo so I'm betting it will work splendid with the AZ too, and the PP splits well too.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »
You'd have to look up which ones are unmatched coils, but the Paf Joe sounds great with the Air Zone. They both have the same open feel, and the tones compliment each other well. The PAF Pro is another great match. The Humbucker From Hell is a tonal match with the air zone, but it is a little underpowered.

I still have an Air Norton in an RG655 and it is a total mud bomb. If I decide to keep the guitar, it will be coming out in exchange for a PAF Pro.

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 08:16:17 AM »
I have to second the PAF Pro as a pup swap option.

That said - before we go all solder crazy…how is the pickup adjusted?  height/poles etc….

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
I'd recommend a bluesbucker or the Illuminator neck to go with the Air Zone. The transition neck would also work if you wanted something similar to the air Norton but with less of the boomy low end.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter