Got me some VHPAFS and VPAFS need advice

• 5 Replies

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
Got me some VHPAFS and VPAFS need advice
« on: June 23, 2015, 01:11:48 AM »
After playing a friends music man with VPAFS I got on a quest to find some, I was able to find 3 virtual hots and 3 vpaf necks, still looking for a cream Vpaf neck. A couple questions,
I am installing one bridge and one neck in my mahogany strat, what pots? I read they are bright and 250k might be what I want but I like 500k in my hss strats and use TBX tone controls and treble bleed in most of them. I also have a 76 Les Paul custom with a maple neck and fretboard, I installed the transitions set, 500k pots, coil split etc and I hate them, sounds great split on the bridge but the bucker is just bland, I think the VHPAF and VPAF are going to fit the bill, If they sound like I think they will, I want to put gold covers and gold screw slugs so it looks stock, I am going to try the transitions in an ASH HH strat I am building,(all gold hardware) if they dont sound right can I swap the covers and screw slugs from them into the VPAFS? If they do does Dimarzio sell gold screw slugs?
I also may be putting a VHPAF in another strat, its a 86 contemporary model, it is HSS with one volume and one TBX tone control, I may use area 61 mid and area 58 neck, what vol pot? or do I add a resister and make the area's see 250k and bucker see 500k?
I am stoked I found these because they are one of the best sounding PAF type pickups I have ever heared. Again, I am looking for a neck cream VPAF, I have a PRS Johnny Hiland and the pickups are great but the VHPAF and Vpaf will even be better.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Got me some VHPAFS and VPAFS need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 03:27:41 AM »
I made the experience that it also depends on what you have as tone control. If you use a standard value tone capacitor (say .022uf), 500k for the pots is fine. Personally I find that value too dark. If you go much lower (say .0047uf or .0022uf), a 250k volume pot will work just as well.

If you are not sure what to use, go with 500k. You can always add a resistor in parallel to the pot to lower its value if the overall tone is too bright.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
I used a VHOTPAF for years in a strat. I ran it and the single coils with a 300K volume pot and 250k tones. It warmed it up a lot. A 250k might be too much. I had a VPAF neck and bridge in a Les Paul for a while with 500k pots. I found them too bright, so they might benefit from 300K pots too.

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:34:58 AM »
for some reason  my maple neck Les paul needs more highs, it seems to be all low and mids with the transitions. I.m going to try it with the 500k first and see what it sounds like.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 12:22:41 AM »
EBMM Silhouettes came stock with a VPAF bridge and 250k pots.  To me it sounds correct.  500k might be shrill. 

With the VHPAF, it depends on your taste.  In the strat I have one in I use 250k, but in LP type guitars I've used them with 500.  500 was a bit much, if I put one in again I'd probably drop that to 400k or 333k using a resistor across the pot.

Offline joshsuperdist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »
Loved 250 with mine
Peavey Wolfgang AT-1/AN
Sterling AX40 fender Wolfgang bridge stock neck
Meanstreet Exile 36th ann/V PAF
Peavey 6505+ combo
Marshall JCM 800 combo with EVH greenb