Does the FS-1 work in the neck?

• 6 Replies

Offline 357mag

• View Profile
Does the FS-1 work in the neck?
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »
I've got a Road Worn Strat with a Maple Neck. Love it. I've tried the FS-1 in the bridge and it sounds good in that position, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever put the FS-1 in the neck? 
At first I thought to myself it's not made for the neck and would most likely sound too round and too bassy, but now I'm thinking it may work.

I would love to find a single-coil that sounds kinda similar to the YJM Fury neck pickup. Maybe the FS-1 is the answer?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does the FS-1 work in the neck?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
I am not a fan of putting bridge pickups in the neck position but with single coils it should still work OK. With humbuckers probably not so much because the bridge models are usually wound hotter to compensate for the lower string movement at the bridge. Single coils being tighter by nature should get away with this easier.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline slim_blues_boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
I used FS-1 for a while in neck position of 25.5" scale Jaguar-style guitar with SDS-1 on the bridge position.
it's quite nice actually if you aren't looking for that sparkle from typical Strat neck pickup.
I started as a humbucker-guy player, so I always get along with more fat, warm neck pickup sounds.

I recently installed the FS-1 in middle of a Strat because a Knoplfer enthusiastic has theory about Knoplfer used FS-1 in middle position (combined with vintage output bridge pickup) for Sultan of Swing.
and now it become my favorite. previously, I rarely used middle pickup alone because I felt it always lack of something. but the FS-1 just doing great for me, it has good roundness of neck position but with enough brightness of bridge position.
I use vintage output pickup for the neck, and the combination is great too, with plenty of quack.
while in the bridge I use SDS-1 (my current favorite bridge pickup), the combination don't give enough quack as the neck-mid combination.
so, the theory about Knoplfer using FS-1 in the middle position for the Sultan might be true. if it combine with vintage output pickup, it gave nice quack sounding.

anyway, you should try the FS-1 in neck, or even the middle, and it might be working for you.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »
Didn't Yngwie have FS-1's in all positions back in the Alcatrazz days?

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Yeah I seem to recall Yngwie using them early on.

Offline ant_riv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »
I just put one in the middle position and love it so much I want to get a full set for a SSS configuration. I have used one in the bridge position and love it there also.

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »
Yes it will work just fine.

Once upon a time there was no such thing as a "neck" pup.  The world rocked on just fine.