Help with all maple hss guitar

• 4 Replies

Offline penaali_ana

• View Profile
Help with all maple hss guitar
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:10:11 AM »
Hi!

I have an all maple neck through Carvin dc135 with hss pickups. The middle pickups is a little bit closer to neck than it usually is, and this probably causes that the "in between" tones are not as good.

Now the guitar has chopper in the neck and megadrive in the rear position.
I tried original h11n stacked humbucker and sds-1 in the middle. I liked them alone, but with neck or bridge pickups (split or coils in series) sound was rather boring.

I was thinking to take a different approach to the cleaner sound, and forget those "in between" sound. Maybe I need a singlecoil sized humbucker with series/parallel/split switch.

Which pickups would be good in the middle? I already have second a chopper and a fast track 1.

I am usually using the middle pick up for cleaner rhythm tones. Now I was planning to get some more hotter sounds too.

The routings in the guitar are a little bit weird, and strat pickups does not fit in with that lid. I have already removed the lid from one chopper, and it is not a problem any more.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Re: Help with all maple hss guitar
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
Fast Track 1 is lower output than Chopper so would work for the cleaner usage.  If you want a DiMarzio to fit your route, the option is called "No Flange".

Offline penaali_ana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 09:10:26 PM »
I put the fast track in and it sound realy nice in series mode. Original pickups and sds had something anoing in the the mids, and fast track fixed that issue.

Parraller and slpit sound are way too quiet and bright, and chopper in neck position does those sound better, so I don't really need those sounds. Maybe next I will try chopper or pro track in the middle. I migth want more output than fast track offers, otherwise I am happy with it.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
I'd say give the Chopper a go in the neck or maybe a Cruiser Bridge.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 08:53:59 PM »
Fast Track 1 is hotter than Cruiser Bridge. 

For rails, in terms of strattiness and brightness descending order:

Cruiser Neck
Cruiser Bridge
Fast Track 1
Satch Track
Pro Track (I'm not a fan of this one)
Chopper
Air Norton S

The various others are all much hotter and darker than those above.