DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

Neck Humbucker trick for removing mud/boom

<< < (2/5) > >>

Amplifuzz:
Thanks, Ray! The Screamin' Demon is another pickup that works great in the neck (for brighter guitars than LPs maybe), and it's got two rows of different screws.  The real pandora's box would be with dimarzios, with the different coils in the same pickup, flipping, removing the screws on a side that's half-aired or not, etc. So many possibilities.

slim_blues_boy:

--- Quote from: darkbluemurder on May 21, 2015, 06:57:00 AM ---Which Bill Lawrence pickup? There are quite many (L-500, L-90, L-600, L-610), and each in different inductance values. For neck pickups I have tried the L-500R, the L-500C and the L-90 2H. I liked the L-500R. It still has a boomy low end which is partly due to the huge output this pickup has. The L-500C is better in that regard. I was not impressed at all by the L-90. The real issue with the L-500 in the neck spot is that most pickup cavities are to shallow for it to fit.

Cheers Stephan

--- End quote ---

I got older L450, which now replaced by L600 I believe.
the inductance sticker has already gone, but from my research, I believe it's 2.4H which a little bit lower from standard neck humbucker 3.6H.

interested to try the L500, I heard good samples of L500R with Q-filter reducing the output, perhaps it could be solution for your boomy low end problem.

KH Guitar Freak:
One could try removing all the screw polepieces and see if that works

darkbluemurder:
I removed the screws for the 4th, 5th and 6th strings on the neck pickup. This works indeed as Ray described. I then replaced the screw for the 4th string since the 4th string is usually the one with the weakest output, and I liked that even better. I had no problem in getting a good string to string balance, and the screw coil still works well when used in split mode. Great mod.

Once again many thanks to Ray for posting this.

Cheers Stephan 

darkbluemurder:
And BTW it is a humbucker with slugs in the bridge side coil I tried it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version