DimarzioForum.Com > Gear Closet

Baritone Amp Suggestions

<< < (2/3) > >>

The_Spell:
These are all really good options and good advice for when I get a little bit more cash, but are there any combo amp options? I know the 6505+ has some, and the Hotrod Deluxe moreorless inspired dudes like Mesa Boogie to improve on that blueprint; if my history is correct.

Like I said, I just don't really have the room or cash for a 2x12 or 4x12 and a grand or more header.

HarlowTheFish:

--- Quote from: The_Spell on June 25, 2019, 02:07:02 AM ---These are all really good options and good advice for when I get a little bit more cash, but are there any combo amp options? I know the 6505+ has some, and the Hotrod Deluxe moreorless inspired dudes like Mesa Boogie to improve on that blueprint; if my history is correct.

Like I said, I just don't really have the room or cash for a 2x12 or 4x12 and a grand or more header.

--- End quote ---
There's a 5150 50-watt combo but it's still a chunky boy and probably still louder than it seems like you want.
H&K has the Tubemeister 36 combo, but the Deluxe versions (of the Tubemeisters and the Grandmeister) are literally just better in every way - the caveat is they're only available as heads, but there's a matching 1x12 that sounds pretty good. You can  They just announced a Black Spirit combo http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/spirit/black-spirit-200-combo/ which will probably land around $1200 (since the head is $999)
umm lemme see what else. . .
You could try to pick up a used Mesa Mark V 25 or 35 combo, but those are closer to $1400 used, or you can get the Rectoverb 25 combo for like a grand used, if Mesas are your thing.
For a really unconventional pick: get a Boss Katana (the Artist if you really want a combo, or the head + 2x12, and the GA-FC with either one). They sound killer, are pretty affordable ($599 for the Artist 1x12 combo, $399 for the head, and $359 for the 2x12, plus $99 for the footswitch with either one), and since you want it for a baritone, here's the kicker: I literally use my Kat head for recording bass and I can't make the darn thing sound muddy no matter what I do.
It's not tube, it's not boutique, but the only problem with it IMO is the onboard boosts/drives/distortions (the amp distortion sounds fine, it's just the effects) are kinda noisy if you use them for gain and it really needs a computer and the Sneaky Amps to go from "really good for the money" to "actually pretty good, period", so you'll have to budget in like $5 for a USB cable for it. Also works for direct recording if you're not set up with an interface.

HarlowTheFish:

--- Quote from: HarlowTheFish on June 25, 2019, 03:14:50 AM ---It's not tube, it's not boutique, but the only problem with it IMO is the onboard boosts/drives/distortions (the amp distortion sounds fine, it's just the effects) are kinda noisy if you use them for gain and it really needs a computer and the Sneaky Amps to go from "really good for the money" to "actually pretty good, period", so you'll have to budget in like $5 for a USB cable for it. Also works for direct recording if you're not set up with an interface.

--- End quote ---
Quick demo: the first bit (kinda loud, sorry) is my Strandberg Classic 6 (stock pickups) straight in to the Brown channel in Drop C, then my Kiesel CL6 with the Kiesel Lithiums in Drop A (same Edguy riff). The bit of fizz on the latter is from the Lithiums, the Katana's already bright and the Liths are a little (a lottle) trebly.
Couldn't get it to attach here so link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s4P3KjDegr3TzM0KY79l8sNLQg8lXtAo
The cleans are the CL6 in Drop A, first with both humbuckers split for the picky bit, then the neck humbucker full on for my decidedly mediocre off-time rendition of Autumn Leaves.

The_Spell:

--- Quote from: HarlowTheFish on June 25, 2019, 04:46:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: HarlowTheFish on June 25, 2019, 03:14:50 AM ---It's not tube, it's not boutique, but the only problem with it IMO is the onboard boosts/drives/distortions (the amp distortion sounds fine, it's just the effects) are kinda noisy if you use them for gain and it really needs a computer and the Sneaky Amps to go from "really good for the money" to "actually pretty good, period", so you'll have to budget in like $5 for a USB cable for it. Also works for direct recording if you're not set up with an interface.

--- End quote ---
Quick demo: the first bit (kinda loud, sorry) is my Strandberg Classic 6 (stock pickups) straight in to the Brown channel in Drop C, then my Kiesel CL6 with the Kiesel Lithiums in Drop A (same Edguy riff). The bit of fizz on the latter is from the Lithiums, the Katana's already bright and the Liths are a little (a lottle) trebly.
Couldn't get it to attach here so link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s4P3KjDegr3TzM0KY79l8sNLQg8lXtAo
The cleans are the CL6 in Drop A, first with both humbuckers split for the picky bit, then the neck humbucker full on for my decidedly mediocre off-time rendition of Autumn Leaves.

--- End quote ---

Good Christ, dude! Your tone is massive! Those cleans are really good, too! Yeahh, that's exactly what I had in my ear for what I wanted to go for as far as my tone goes.

Yeah,  I'm going to save up the cash and do that! You said that was mostly the Katana?

HarlowTheFish:

--- Quote from: The_Spell on June 25, 2019, 05:09:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: HarlowTheFish on June 25, 2019, 04:46:26 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Good Christ, dude! Your tone is massive! Those cleans are really good, too! Yeahh, that's exactly what I had in my ear for what I wanted to go for as far as my tone goes.

Yeah,  I'm going to save up the cash and do that! You said that was mostly the Katana?

--- End quote ---
Thanks dude!
That was all Katana, with the built in red reverb (I think it's a big room or hall or something?) dialed in just to keep it from sounding super dry. Guitar into amp, line out (stock settings, there's some options that I haven't messed with) into my Behringer UMC1820 interface, into Reaper.
Gain at like 2 o'clock, bass at 9 o'clock, mids at 11:30 and treble at like 2, presence at 10:30ish on the Brown channel for the dirty stuff. Channel volume all the way up.
For cleans it was gain at noon, channel volume all the way up, bass at 10:00, mids at 11:00, treble at 1:30, presence at noon on the Clean channel.
Red 'verb at about 8:30 on both.
Mine's still running the 1.2 firmware too, 2.0 and up have a bunch of cool features, I just haven't gotten around to updating yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version