Stratocaster tuning secret

• 33 Replies

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
Stratocaster tuning secret
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:04:58 PM »
I can't remember if I posted this before, but I have done this on 2 of my strats and it works.  My strats stay in tune (except when there is a really bad thunderstorm in the area).  I also have graphite nuts and locking tuners which help.  If you have a strat and can't keep it in tune then try this, it really works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-F7iSIopA&feature=related
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

bzzdog

Re: Stratocaster tuning secret
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
damn it. this totally made me want a strat again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:46:53 PM »
Yeah, it works.

Especially a good lubricant at all contact points.

Echad

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:11:35 AM »
Didn't they invent Kahlers, Floyds and Edges, like, before most of us were born? You people are that much backwards? :o

WTF, he wasted that much time to bend up a semitone? I can bend up and down half an octave and I didn't waste a second on setting up the tremolo! And the need for the locking tuners and or nut sauce or graphite was eliminated by the locking nut. I also do not need balls at the end of a string and therefore do not need to worry about it breaking at the bridge... A lot of Fender's idiosyncrasies were fixed since the time they were formed. Hell, even my mom wasn't born when this was modern and of any use. ;D

A good lubricant at all contact points

Plug in slowly, starting with a single finger, before going in full claw. And don't forget an enema! Sorry, could not resist. :D

Really, all this flawed tremolo stuff is pure anal sex, measuring spring tension and all. Bloody compulsive freaks! ::)

BTW, this forum highlights an*l s*x, but not fucking shit... Budd, be careful — you censor gives away your preferences. :-*

Whitmore

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:50:25 AM »
Didn't they invent Kahlers, Floyds and Edges, like, before most of us were born? You people are that much backwards? :o

WTF, he wasted that much time to bend up a semitone? I can bend up and down half an octave and I didn't waste a second on setting up the tremolo! And the need for the locking tuners and or nut sauce or graphite was eliminated by the locking nut. I also do not need balls at the end of a string and therefore do not need to worry about it breaking at the bridge... A lot of Fender's idiosyncrasies were fixed since the time they were formed. Hell, even my mom wasn't born when this was modern and of any use. ;D

A good lubricant at all contact points

Plug in slowly, starting with a single finger, before going in full claw. And don't forget an enema! Sorry, could not resist. :D

Really, all this flawed tremolo stuff is pure anal sex, measuring spring tension and all. Bloody compulsive freaks! ::)

BTW, this forum highlights an*l s*x, but not fucking shit... Budd, be careful — you censor gives away your preferences. :-*

Three words.

Vintage bent saddles.

oilpit

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
Even thought I know that your trolling Echad and probably (hopefully) don't believe the crap that your saying, ignorance does piss me off.

For those who care about range of pitch, then yeah, floyds are better (Kahlers suck, hard)
For those who care about TONE, a regular vintage 6 screw trem is the way to go every time.

I would even be inclined to reverse your argument,

A big, ugly, tone sucking, clumsy, floyd (don't get me started on the locking nut) was outdated before it was invented, by proper care of your guitar. Also, EVH, Jimi Hendrix and David Gilmour would argue that "old fashioned" tremolos work just fine.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:59:00 PM by oilpit »

alfaromeo90

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
Thanks WSX3, i didn't know that.  I rely a lot on graphite/graphtech nuts which help greatly.  Changes the tone a bit so unacceptable to some.  I wouldn't say the tone is worse, just different.

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »
Thanks WSX3, i didn't know that.  I rely a lot on graphite/graphtech nuts which help greatly.  Changes the tone a bit so unacceptable to some.  I wouldn't say the tone is worse, just different.

You're welcome.  Sharing information is a good thing.  Maybe Budd or City will sticky this for future reference.
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
Locking nuts do suck away lots of tone,anyone should be able to hear that.Notes just seem to RING TRUE without any locking mechanism at the nut,more VIBEration being transfered.That being said a whammy addict like myself absolutely love SPERZEL LOCKING TUNERS,FENDER BULLITS & GRAPHITE POWDER.Last time i played LIVE I put my guitar on the floor,stepped on the bar,yanked it up by the bar,all the circus stunts & never went out of tune.Seriously

JAMESDP100

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:53:03 AM »
Has any one looked into the super vee trems? they're supposed to be better than floyds and Eric Johnson uses them so they must not
suck the tone. the installation is also non invasive and can be uninstalled with no signs it was even really there. I tried that Carl Verheyen trick awhile back didn't work, maybe my strings were too thick idk.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:03:33 AM »
This "Floyd sucks tone" thing is blown way out of proportion. I bet if people did a blind audio test between two guitars, one with vintage trem and the other with a Floyd, I bet not many can tell which is which...

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
It's not the Floyd's fault directly.  It's a side effect of having a big chunk of wood chopped out of the middle of a guitar that impacts tone, and it just means that less of the overall tone is going to come from the wood, and more from everything else.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
It's not the Floyd's fault directly.  It's a side effect of having a big chunk of wood chopped out of the middle of a guitar that impacts tone, and it just means that less of the overall tone is going to come from the wood, and more from everything else.

Most of the Floyds I've seen sit on top and use the original space set up the a stock trem. on some strats.  The ones that float usually don't have a lot of wood taken out just enough to float the bridge, is that enough to effect tone, I don't know.  Either way, you  can compensate with a oversized brass block which is a 100% improvement in tone.  But if you don't have a floyd and use a stock fender trem, this trick does work when setup correctly.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »
I've played Floyds without a problem.

My beef with Floyd Rose systems, is that by the time I have the thing set up to play, I'm bored/frustrated and have lost all interest in wanting to play. My vintage trems get me where I need to go just fine, I don't have many tuning issues. Yeah, occasionally it may happen, but that's if I'm going SEVERELY wild. Honestly, my ridiculously bluesy bends put the strings out of tune more often than my vintage trem.

And god forbid if I'm playing a Floyd guitar and want to play in drop d...

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
There's a product for that COBL... the D-Tuna.  I'm not a Floyd guy but I've played 'em and they seem to work pretty well.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL