Tele neck PU to compliment Chopper bridge

• 5 Replies

Offline iGeetjis

• View Profile
Tele neck PU to compliment Chopper bridge
« on: May 14, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
i have a 2015 American Standard Tele. single neck PU, Reilander, and SD Pearly Gate single humbucker.  i tried to like the Pearly Gate but it's not happening. so i want to replace it with the DiMarzio Chopper T in bridge. i figure i might as well replace the neck too.

i don't want a very twangy neck pu though. i like the Tele neck to lean more to an agressive warm type tone. this guitar usually plays bluesy stuff, power chord types. but i do try my hand at 3 note/shell voicings attempting to sound a little jazzy.

with that written, can i get a few neck PU recommendations to compliment the Chopper T pls. 
tia

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tele neck PU to compliment Chopper bridge
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:54:01 AM »
Hi,

Most telecaster neck pickups are low output, twangy and clear. For bluesy and jazzy tones with these pickups you will need the tone control to help. Personally I prefer other pickup types to tele neck pickups such as strat pickups, firebird pickups or mini humbuckers. Unfortunately this almost always requires to modify the route.

DiMarzio only has the kind of tele pickups I described - the Twang King as traditional tele neck pickup and the Area T neck which is humcancelling. They do not make any hotter tele neck models as far as I know. Maybe Duncan Hot Rails?

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:02:56 PM »
There are tons of companies that do high output Tele pickups.

I have a set of harmonic design vintage plus pickups.  They are louder than stock with a more full bottom end and mids, but never sound overwound.
It is definitely loud enough and ballsy enough for a chopper.

It is still the best neck tone I have or used.

SD makes the quarter pounder
Fralin does steel poles
Zhangbucker does some.

Offline iGeetjis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 02:48:44 PM »
Hi,

Most telecaster neck pickups are low output, twangy and clear. For bluesy and jazzy tones with these pickups you will need the tone control to help. Personally I prefer other pickup types to tele neck pickups such as strat pickups, firebird pickups or mini humbuckers. Unfortunately this almost always requires to modify the route.

DiMarzio only has the kind of tele pickups I described - the Twang King as traditional tele neck pickup and the Area T neck which is humcancelling. They do not make any hotter tele neck models as far as I know. Maybe Duncan Hot Rails?

Cheers Stephan
thank you for your input. i'll check out SD too.
apologies for delay in reply, got carried away with some home issues.

Offline iGeetjis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 03:04:31 PM »
There are tons of companies that do high output Tele pickups.

I have a set of harmonic design vintage plus pickups.  They are louder than stock with a more full bottom end and mids, but never sound overwound.
It is definitely loud enough and ballsy enough for a chopper.

It is still the best neck tone I have or used.

SD makes the quarter pounder
Fralin does steel poles
Zhangbucker does some.
thank you for your reply. the Zhang's caught my attention. thx

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 01:50:33 PM »
I gotta admit. The Zhangbucker piqued my interest enough to go check them out too!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter