Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
The Pickup Place / Re: Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF (DP214) Review
« Last post by nienturi on January 15, 2024, 08:10:00 AM »
You had me at excited for a minute!

Well written review.

Thank you. I have a passion for moderate output bridge humbuckers. VHP is truely one of my top 3.
The Pickup Place / Re: Evolution Neck in an HSS?
« Last post by darkbluemurder on January 15, 2024, 04:24:04 AM »
Love HSS set ups.

The last I set up is (from bridge to neck): JB, Area 67, Area 61 (inspired by a TGP member who did the same and raved about it). All 250k pots and a 5 way mega switch. The switch positions are:

1 - bridge, coils in series
2 - bridge split (EDIT: bridge side coil, magnet reversed) and middle split
3 - middle
4 - middle and neck
5 - neck

The upper tone pot only controls position #5 and has a 0.0022uf cap. The lower tone pot is a push-pull and currently has a 680pf cap, which I will increase to 800pf (1000pf was too much), and it only controls position #1. The push-pull when pulled puts the bridge pickup coils in parallel, but ONLY in that position. It does not do anything if the switch is in any other position.

Very versatile yet simple, and it is very easy to tweak individual positions without affecting others. EDIT: all positions are humcancelling. 

BTT - a good alternative to the JB if you want less compression is the FRED, also with a 250k volume pot.

Cheers Stephan
The Pickup Place / Re: New Filtertrons from DiMarzio!
« Last post by darkbluemurder on January 15, 2024, 04:16:53 AM »
The DC resistances on the New'Trons are almost twice as high as the originals. I wonder whether DiMarzio used 43 gauge wire compared to 42 gauge in the originals.

Cool that they offer several models to choose from.

And the description says they are the original size and dimensions so Amplifuzz is right.

Cheers Stephan
« Last post by Ampli_Fuzz on January 14, 2024, 10:13:01 AM »
Same length, a bit narrower. They fit into humbucker routes and you can buy the right rings to cover the empty space from TV Jones.
« Last post by kookaburra on January 13, 2024, 12:45:44 PM »
You had me at excited for a minute!

Well written review.
« Last post by kookaburra on January 13, 2024, 12:35:46 PM »
Looks interesting, although I don’t have a guitar for that.

It looks like it’s s all F tron sized.  Is that radically different than standard humbucker size?
The Pickup Place / New Filtertrons from DiMarzio!
« Last post by Ampli_Fuzz on January 13, 2024, 09:09:12 AM »
This is unexpected, and very welcome:

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/filtertron

The SD/PAF retrofits in 'tron housing are smart, but I'm especially interested in their own take on the actual Filtertron sound. They're always been great at taking a classic and subtly improving it.
The Pickup Place / Re: Evolution Neck in an HSS?
« Last post by gregr on January 13, 2024, 04:04:50 AM »
I think the Gravity Storm Neck will be too warm and thus provide too much contrast with single coils, so I changed the topic title to an Evolution Neck and would love some feedback on this.

I found the Area 58 too bright and switched it out for a VV 54Pro. It’s working better with the JB2, tonally. However, I think I’m still after the YJM/John Norum neck tone. The YJM Fury appears to have more output than the HS-3 but seems to have a very similar tone. Does anyone know how the output of the neck model of the YJM Fury compares to an Area 58 or VV 54Pro? Has anyone split to just the top coil of YJM Fury?
« Last post by nienturi on January 08, 2024, 12:28:07 AM »
I always loved the Virtual Hot PAF. Thanks for the review man!
Awesome review!
Thanks

Thank you both :)
The Pickup Place / Re: My Dimarzio Al DiMeola Neck (DP201) Review
« Last post by nienturi on January 08, 2024, 12:27:23 AM »
Thanks for posting Race. It's been awhile.  Great player and he got great tones, even live.

:)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10