Pickup model winding accuracy

• 3 Replies

BluesJam

Pickup model winding accuracy
« on: November 07, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »
How accurate is DiMarzio windings and output for each model type.  I’m certain that DiMarzio probably uses computerized  automation.  Obviously, handwound pickups cannot be duplicated even by the same winder.  I was wondering how close computerize automation can get a virtual identical coil.  Obviously, magnet and wire batches probably have a minor variance in performance and tone.

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
Re: Pickup model winding accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
They use automated winders, with an operator running the machine. So they are all exactly the same.
I know this because I worked there for a short time.

But here’s the thing with hand winding; every hand wound coil is random and therefore different. So you would expect two hand wound single coils wound to the same number of turns to sound different, right? But they don’t.

Old Gibson pickups varied a lot because they just wound the bobbins until they were full. They didn’t count turns very accurately.

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »
I don't know that they are EXACTLY the same...but I wouldn't be surprised.  "rotation of a spool" should be able to be an exact thing.

And even if it wasn't, I bet the variation is so low as to be completely insignificant.  3 extra trips around the bobbin out of a thousand is not going to be measurable, let along perceivable.

And IF something ran amok - you would be warned, notified or it would pass QA or something....

I saw Duncan with Six Sigma stuff in the factory.  I happen to be a Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt. 

BluesJam

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 02:14:09 AM »
Thanks guys..,, very interesting.