Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
The Pickup Place / Re: Gravity Storm Neck in an HSS?
« Last post by mmmguitar on January 05, 2024, 02:23:24 PM »
Maybe the Gravity Storm is the last thing I want, I don’t know.

What kind of top end are you wanting out of your bridge humbucker? I had the Gravity Storm set in a guitar and, though I didn't try the neck GS in the bridge position, I can say that they both seemed to have rolled-off highs which may emphasize that midrange you seem to want to be avoiding. For the record, I've never gotten along with the JB either; and found the Norton/Air Norton more to my liking. Is it specifically a sort of midrange "honk" you dislike about the JB, or do you prefer more of a scoop in the mids?

I will say that the GS neck splits beautifully in its intended position (with the screw coil facing the neck). Whether that translates to a good split bridge+middle, I can't speak to.
The Pickup Place / Evolution Neck in an HSS?
« Last post by gregr on January 05, 2024, 02:50:05 AM »
I’ve been wanting to do an HSS for a while now. It’s been a long time since I last did one.

I’m looking for a humbucker with a bit more output than a PAF and single coils to clean up. I also want the neck pickup to get me in the ballpark of John Norum/Yngwie Malmsteen using a mid gain amp with a TS-style OD or a high gain amp.

At the moment I’m looking at the Gravity Storm Neck in the bridge. There’s a JB in the guitar now and I forgot just how fun they are to play. I’ll probably run it with an A2 for a while just to get my jollies. Ultimately I’d like something a bit lower in output with less midrange emphasis and without the strange low end that the JB has. I don’t quite know how to describe it. I’m thinking the Gravity Storm Neck will provide enough contrast with some authority, but still get along with the singles, tonally speaking. Again, I want to go from a fair amount of crunch to edge of breakup by switching over to the singles and clean up even more using the volume control. I’d like the single coils not to sound overly thin and brittle. I do plan on using 500k volume and tone controls and loading down the singles with a 270k resistor, give or take.

In the neck I’m looking at either an Area 67 or an HS-2, which, despite the low output seems to have a bit of grunt. I’m under the impression that a pair of HS-2s without the dummy coils will excel at the middle + neck position over a pair of Areas. I’m also thinking that I could use an HS-2 without the dummy coil in the neck for clean and edge of breakup and then enable the dummy coil for high gain, where the drop in output won’t really matter(?). I know the HB2 works well with humbuckers, but I’m looking for something that has some brightness and something relatively even through the mids. The 54P may even be a bit too much. In general I prefer the 67 over the 58 because of the higher resonant frequency. The 58 in the neck seems to be better suited for blues, which I don’t play. I prefer the 61 over the 58 in the neck if I want that kind of sound, but that’s neither here nor there.

I never hold out much hope for the bridge + middle position when using a humbucker, but if anyone has any insight let me know. I would likely use an Area 58 in the middle if I were to choose an Area.

I know the reduced string pull is a highlight of the Areas, but honestly, players have been using A5 pickups for well over 50 years. I realize the HS series are very low in output, but will this really be a problem?

Any insight/suggestions/alternative ideas are welcome. Maybe the Gravity Storm is the last thing I want, I don’t know.

EDIT: I changed the topic title from a Gravity Storm to an Evolution. I’ve convinced myself that I need something brighter.
The Pickup Place / Re: Revisiting the Super D
« Last post by kookaburra on January 04, 2024, 05:18:36 PM »
I’m about to reinstall a Super D in a Hamer Special FM.  I pulled the Super D for a PAFish pickup in the bridge, but I’m reversing course!
The Pickup Place / Re: My Dimarzio Al DiMeola Neck (DP201) Review
« Last post by nienturi on December 28, 2023, 07:21:53 AM »
That's amazing! Thanks for sharing man!

ADM neck is long lost jewel. I hope people may rediscover it ;)
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Re: Mo'Joe
« Last post by HeyNorton! on December 27, 2023, 07:34:45 PM »
Again, late to the party by what,  17 years? Lol.

Again, all the others before me nailed it.

What can I say that hasn't already been?

It's high end and harmonics are very controllable by pickup height.  I was very lukewarm about it until I lowered it down a bit and set to adjusting the tilt and pole heights.  Set properly, this is one HELL of a versatile hot rodded paf type.  I can play anything with this setup.

It not dactivator tight, but it's not loose either.  It's right at the point where I can control that texture with my hands. 

I wonder how a 250k vol pot would do?  Or a 500k with a 250k tone? 

I really like this and it's combo mate, the paf joe.

They work really well together.  It appears that Satch likes the same things in a pickup as I do.  Cool!
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Re: PAF Joe
« Last post by HeyNorton! on December 27, 2023, 07:21:56 PM »
Okaaaayyyyy, I'm a bit late to the game on this one.

What a freaking neck pickup!

I'll mirror what has been said previously.

1. The attack is somewhat dull.
2. It is a bright pickup
3. It is super sensitive to touch and gain.
4. I've noticed that it has a touch of strat single coil to it.

If you take all of the above points, it works really well for a neck pickup.

The dulled attack offsets and balances the brightness of it. 

It works really well with the mo'joe btw. They are both kinda the same bright, so adjusting eq, tone, gain and guitar volume for one means the other will sound good too.

This is a blues to hard rock pickup without a doubt.
Clean to mid gain, it bright.
With heavy gain, it becomes clear and very smooth/liquidy in that air norton kinda way.

It's not as height sensitive as the mo'joe. That one is interesting.
The Pickup Place / Man, I love dimarzios!
« Last post by HeyNorton! on December 27, 2023, 07:10:46 PM »
Name another manufacturer that makes such a vast variety of pickups.

Duncan has a ton of vintage stuff, but are limited in the mid and high gain areas.

Nobody else comes close.

Dimarzio has 67 different humbuckers!

All my best sounding guitars are loaded with them.

I run a 36th set, a set of breeds, a set of transitions, and a mo'joe/ paf joe combo.

There is no dead weight there at all. 

I just got the last 2 recently and man, are they all killer!

Between harmonic design, lace pickups, and dimarzio, I can always find something that'll work for me, though it's all dimarzio when it comes to humbuckers.
The Pickup Place / Re: My Dimarzio Al DiMeola Neck (DP201) Review
« Last post by buddroyce on December 27, 2023, 01:42:37 PM »
That's amazing! Thanks for sharing man!
The Pickup Place / My Dimarzio Al DiMeola Neck (DP201) Review
« Last post by nienturi on December 25, 2023, 12:51:05 AM »
Hello,

I prepared my humble Dimarzio Al DiMeola Neck review on my new blog.

https://www.tonejourney.com/post/dimarzio-aldimeola-dp201

Hope you like it?

News & New Guys / Happy Holidays 2023!
« Last post by buddroyce on December 24, 2023, 08:03:43 PM »
I don't get on here nearly as often but I wanted to make the time to get on and wish you all happy holidays!

Hopefully Santa leaves you some nice new toys!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10