Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pickup Place / Re: Clean neck pup recommendation
« Last post by marcwormjim on Today at 05:12:13 am »
Bump for no one: Just ordered a Bluesbucker, and will bump with my thoughts.
The Pickup Place / Dual resonance, more noise?
« Last post by mertay on Today at 04:50:59 am »
Just curious if dual resonance PU's are more noisey than traditional designs or not.

In case to be specific, I play close to the computer in my home studio setup (with vai-ish high-gain). Its not too bad, but I have 3-4 PU's in mind and thought less noise would be a factor for me in choosing one.
The Pickup Place / Re: Bluesbucker in the bridge and a whistle
« Last post by KH Guitar Freak on Today at 04:04:12 am »
Might be valve/tube related. Maybe check your preamp valves and see if any are on their way out?
Everything you wanted to know about .... / Trying to identify a couple pickups
« Last post by laitdwn on October 17, 2017, 10:22:04 pm »
A buddy of mine set up a cheap epi sg i had. He passed away shortly after. This was 20 years ago. At this point it has sentimental value. I recently started playing again with my 9 yo son. So i dug out the sg and started cleaning it up. Checked out the pickups and one ia clearly marked the other is blank. Can someone identify it? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Everything you wanted to know about .... / Trying to identify a couple pickups
« Last post by laitdwn on October 17, 2017, 10:20:34 pm »
A buddy of mine set up a cheap epi sg i had. He passed away shortly after. This was 20 years ago. At this point it has sentimental value. I recently started playing again with my 9 yo son. So i dug out the sg and started cleaning it up. Checked out the pickups and one ia clearly marked the other is blank. Can someone identify it? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

The Pickup Place / Clean neck pup recommendation
« Last post by marcwormjim on October 17, 2017, 01:44:35 am »
I prefer a neck pup with a low-enough output that it doesn’t crunch when you strum it.

The moon I’ve been shooting for these past few years is a neck humbucker that gets both a serviceable jazz tone ala Joe Pass in series, as well as a facsimile of a strat tone when split or filtered (which has been the kick I’m on most recently).

So far, a cheaply aired Korean Alnico 5 PAF-style wound to 7.1k in the neck position of my Strandberg is putting out my favorite series-tone. I have another guitar with a Satch Track that’s too hot for my tastes, but I want to replace it with something I’m not as familiar with: I’m thinking either a Bluesbucker or EJ, but if there’s a single-sized humbucker someone can recommend, that would also be worth trying.
The Pickup Place / Bluesbucker in the bridge and a whistle
« Last post by bobmc on October 16, 2017, 11:47:57 am »
Hi guys,
Started a new project this weekend doing some loud early punk/new wave in a power trio format (we had an absolutely blast BTW).
I used my HH Tele (36th Anny neck, Bluesbucker bridge) with my normal signal chain which includes a Sparkle Drive Mod3 at just under halfway gain setting into my tweed deluxe clone.
Twice the rig produced a really high pitched whistle that I couldn't isolate; unsure if it was frequency related, distance to amp, etc..
It has occurred to me that this was as loud as I have played since installing the Bluesbucker this summer; any opinions on that PUP being the culprit?
I hope not, the tone was a big part of the fun.
Gear Closet / Re: VOX Valvetronix VTX150 Review
« Last post by greenlion on October 15, 2017, 07:28:16 pm »
As a follow-up, I have changed my mind after spending a lot more time with the amp. The amp soon developed a problem with the knob that changes stomp box models. It became gritty and hard to turn, and at the same time it sounds like the wah is bleeding through and adding itself to the other effects even when it is not chosen. While taking it apart trying to clean and inspect the pot, I found the interior build quality to be VERY poor. There is a chunk of wood with a rubber stopper hot-glued to the top of it holding the power tube in place. I don't mean a shaped, sawn, squared piece of wood, but a amorphous chunk of wood. The chassis is flimsy, and the entire cabinet feels cheap. Vox definitely went for quantity of effects and models over quality here, and it is way overpriced for the build quality. It is no surprise that they did not stay in production long. The Fender Mustang III I bought later is a much better amp overall. If Vox didn't want to make an actual amp, they should have made another effects box like the older Tone Lab, and let us buy a cabinet for it.
The Pickup Place / Re: Super distortion - super D or super 2 for the neck
« Last post by greenlion on October 14, 2017, 10:13:07 pm »
Its a great combo in a Les Paul. I don't find the Super D too dark, and the Super 2 is definitely the perfect neck to match it.
The Pickup Place / Re: Single coil HSH search
« Last post by greenlion on October 14, 2017, 10:10:24 pm »
I hated the true velvet in every Ibanez guitar it came in. It was the thinnest plinkiest single coil I have ever heard. I like the Area pickups a lot, the 61 and 58 being my favorites. I also like the Cruiser. Problem is, I don't know what the Illuminators sound like, so I can't tell you what would match it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10