Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pickup Place / Re: PAF 59 Set
« Last post by Schneidas on Today at 07:07:35 am »
Yeah. That is what I thought too. I thought he somehow got a set before they released, and I was trying to goad him into giving us a review of them. I was kidding when I started poking fun at him, but now I really am beginning to wonder...
You know, with some people, when you tease them you can actually achieve the opposite. Just let him review them when he feels he has a clear picture of them.
There's also the honeymoon phase - I cannot tell you how many times I had a set over only to change my mind about them after a few days.

Bottom line: Darth will post the review when he feels it's the right time to do it.
« Last post by Mark on August 22, 2017, 08:20:47 pm »
Look at his facebook (link in his posts).

Its pretty clear he has them, just have to wait for the review.
« Last post by greenlion on August 22, 2017, 05:01:01 pm »
Yeah. That is what I thought too. I thought he somehow got a set before they released, and I was trying to goad him into giving us a review of them. I was kidding when I started poking fun at him, but now I really am beginning to wonder...
« Last post by Bucksears on August 22, 2017, 10:18:40 am »
Given the number of reviews on his site, I don't doubt he probably already has a set of the PAF 59s.
It's just been a bit of a tease - we all know we gearheads aren't patient when it comes to waiting for reviews on new stuff.   8)
« Last post by greenlion on August 21, 2017, 09:23:49 pm »
Nice CLAIM. Still no evidence for it... :P

Since when have we needed to prove that we have certain pickups? He wants some time with the product before he writes his review, that doesn't seem too unreasonable to me...

Oh C'mon. Anyone who had the pickups would have posted a "first impressions" review by now. Its not like you can't change your mind or add to your opinions later. I could install a new set of pickups and give you are run down of my impressions of their tone in 30 minutes... unless I didn't actually have the pickups...  ;)
The Pickup Place / Why No Chrome 7-String Pickups?
« Last post by webmaestro on August 21, 2017, 02:59:38 pm »
I'm hoping someone has information on this topic that I don't.

The only 7-string DiMarzios I've seen with chrome tops (I'm referring to the individual, mirrored tops that you can get on some 6-string models) are on 7-string artist guitars and on one of the Universe 25th Anniversary models:

I've written to DiMarzio on a couple occasions now--hoping to special-order some chrome-topped 7-string pups for special projects, but both times they've simply said "Sorry, not possible." Not quite that blunt, but pretty close.

I was under the impression that, if you're willing to pay (and wait), that DiMarzio would do special orders like this. Anyone have any info on this type of thing, or am I just flat out of luck? I sometimes feel like maybe I'm going through the wrong channels at DiMarzio (I just send an email to their tech/support dept).
News & New Guys / Hello from Arizona!
« Last post by webmaestro on August 21, 2017, 01:12:15 pm »
Just saying howdy... from Chandler, AZ.

I've been using DiMarzio pups almost exclusively since roughly 1990. Had no idea there was a forum for them.

Looking forward to kicking some ideas around, so I'll see ya out there...
« Last post by DarthPhineas on August 21, 2017, 08:20:11 am »
Since when have we needed to prove that we have certain pickups? He wants some time with the product before he writes his review, that doesn't seem too unreasonable to me...

it's cool Bart, although I dig your comment and appreciate the positive vibe.

some people still aren't over that time that that cute girl in 4th grade asked them to pass the ketchup in the lunch room, only to see Tommy (capt of the football team) take her to prom 8 years later.  or maybe he's just confused as to why Taylor Swift suddenly went to an online blackout just as he figured out how he'd only have to pay $1 to grab her ass.

either way, what he's asked for has been online for about a week.  but... the whole '2 brain cells' barrier.

Care to elaborate? Would love to hear your impressions on the PAF Master set and what it was you did not like about them

they came off as dry and flat.  definitely "throaty", as described.  but not so much as "dynamic", also as described.  the voicing seemed to almost choke out any potential for the character expected from the product description.  in retrospect, I think the UOA5 in the neck could have been a lot of the issue.

I've sent custom winds back to get tweaked, but I think the PAF Master set is the first production set from any company that I found no use for in my personal collection.  which is to say, that if I'm paying for them, I go after pickups that appeal to me and that I'd want to keep.

and they sound fine in the Gilbert demo.  of course, when does Gilbert not make something sound great?  it appears that plenty of players dig them, and that's all that matters.
« Last post by Schneidas on August 21, 2017, 07:37:48 am »
with regard to the PAF Master set, I did buy that one.  how long it took me to pull those from the guitar could have been clocked with an egg timer.
Care to elaborate? Would love to hear your impressions on the PAF Master set and what it was you did not like about them
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10