Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pickup Place / Re: Modification of mounting tabs
« Last post by marcwormjim on July 21, 2018, 12:40:53 am »
Instead of reaming the holes for direct mounting I recommend modifying the screws. That way you can use the holes for spring mounting if you wish at a later stage.

I hate it when I buy used pickups where the holes were reamed for direct mounting without telling this fact in the ad. It is not a deal breaker per se but I would like to know before buying.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well - But every direct-mount guitar I own has threaded inserts for the pickup screws; and drilling out the tabs has been the lesser evil.
The Pickup Place / Re: Vintage Dimarzio PAF Pickup
« Last post by yankeerob on July 19, 2018, 10:06:20 pm »
I'm a newbie to the forum but was researching PAFs and came across this thread...

In my experience - the original DiMarzio PAFs are quite a bit different to the new ones - they seemed to have more clarity - it's hard to describe but I think it's what people have come to call transparency.

I couldn't tell you why or discuss the materials, aging of magnets and all that jazz... I just know what I've always heard - in the way of a difference. I always just assumed - rightly or wrongly - that it was more likely to do with the volume of sales.

Whatever the reason - I simply just thought I'd offer my two penneth worth... I also had a very early Pre-B Tele bridge pickup that was massively better than a later one... again no idea why... ;D ;D ;D
« Last post by DarthPhineas on July 19, 2018, 07:46:28 am »
Another possible option

Check out some parts houses (i.e., Mojotone, etc) to source some new baseplates with the proper pole spacing that have the tabs you want. Then itís just a simple solder job that can be reversible.

Or find other pickups that come with the triangle tabs, like Suhr.
« Last post by darkbluemurder on July 19, 2018, 05:37:30 am »
Instead of reaming the holes for direct mounting I recommend modifying the screws. That way you can use the holes for spring mounting if you wish at a later stage.

I hate it when I buy used pickups where the holes were reamed for direct mounting without telling this fact in the ad. It is not a deal breaker per se but I would like to know before buying.

Cheers Stephan
« Last post by agt on July 19, 2018, 01:12:14 am »
Thanks for the replies, folks!

marcwormjim's suggestion about using tin snips or fret cutters is exactly what I was looking for.
« Last post by Strangeman86 on July 18, 2018, 05:19:10 pm »
Years ago I took a pair of needle nose pliers and simply bent the feet into triangle-ish shapes.  Though I will admit that took some patience and very deliberate effort (I really wouldn't call it option A, but if you're desperate and willing...).
The Pickup Place / Re: Final advice req. for Strat replacement pickups
« Last post by Whistler on July 18, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »
Ok, after much head spinning Iíve finally grown a pair and ordered the set in the OP. Thanks again for all replies.
« Last post by buddroyce on July 18, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »
It's a fairly common DIY job. You don't need a professional to do it for you. Unless of course you're getting someone else to help you wire it. In which case, you can get them to do it for you.
The Pickup Place / Re: Final advice req. for Strat replacement pickups
« Last post by darkbluemurder on July 18, 2018, 08:20:41 am »
If your guitar is bright acoustically, the set up listed in the OP should work well.

Cheers Stephan
Gear Closet / Re: Barber Gain Changer SR
« Last post by darkbluemurder on July 18, 2018, 08:15:27 am »
Cool to see some love for Barber's overdrive pedals. I have acquired a bunch of them over the last three years - various variants of the Direct Drive, the Burn Unit EQ, the Smallfry, the Unlimited and the GCX. All great and can be had inexpensively used.

Cheers Stephan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10