Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
The Pickup Place / Re: Virtual Solo for the win
« Last post by frankencat on January 26, 2024, 11:19:05 PM »
The VS is my favorite Strat bridge pickup.
The Pickup Place / Re: Air Classic Neck Review (DP190)
« Last post by LPBII on January 26, 2024, 10:55:39 PM »
Having used the Air Classic neck, and the bridge model, and AC sets in a wide variety of guitars, I agree with just about every aspect of your review. 

I installed an air classic neck in an all mahogany, hard tail, strat with rosewood board, for somebody, so a fairly close match to your test guitar. We used the 36th neck in the bridge. The perfect set for that particular guitar. The AC neck in neck gave a lot of clarity and tonal balance. Plenty bright, but not in a bad way. Not a hint of mud or boominess. It balanced out well with the 36th "neck" used in the bridge.

A lot of people over look the ACs maybe because they don't think they will have enough power based on the published specs? In my experience they don't play weak though. And you would be hard pressed to find a pickup set more responsive to picking dynamics.
The Pickup Place / Re: Dimarzio PAF 57
« Last post by nienturi on January 26, 2024, 08:43:30 AM »
I'm excited :)
The Pickup Place / Re: Dimarzio PAF 57
« Last post by darkbluemurder on January 26, 2024, 03:26:23 AM »
Ok - now they have 5 PAF variants:

36th Anniversary
59 PAF
57 PAF
Air Classic
PAF Master

Each in bridge and neck versions.

Cheers Stephan
The Pickup Place / Dimarzio PAF 57
« Last post by frankencat on January 25, 2024, 11:29:59 PM »
Update: See post #7 for demo :)

Has anyone heard these yet?

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/vintage-paf-output/paf-57-neck
The mini bar (off topic & misc) / Re: Who are the SDUGF members on here?
« Last post by darkbluemurder on January 25, 2024, 03:49:59 AM »
This forum sucks compared to the SD Forum. So sad! It's really a missed opportunity. Maybe this forum needs an official re-launch via colaboration with the Dimarzio Co.

Indeed it is very quiet here compared to there. On one hand it makes my life as a moderator very easy as there is nothing really to moderate :). On the other hand, it is up to the members (including the moderators) to bring the forum to life. If you create good content that will attract more visitors and potentially more members, potentially producing more useful content.

Cheers Stephan
The Pickup Place / Re: Evolution Neck in an HSS?
« Last post by darkbluemurder on January 25, 2024, 03:45:43 AM »
I think Reverend used a 0.0022uf cap but the exact values of pot and cap are only a starting point - as you said it is all personal preference and should be selected by ear. In the PRS S2 Standard 24 and the Custom I used 0.0022uf and 500k audio pots which work fine in these guitars - I can always find the spot I am looking for so I have not seen a reason for further finetuning.

Cheers Stephan

« Last post by gregr on January 24, 2024, 01:40:11 PM »
Indeed. I mentioned that in another topic where I’m using a passive bass shelf with an A3-loaded Duncan 59N against a Screamin’ Demon. I don’t know whether the value of the cap is what is used in the Reverend circuit or the G&L circuit. I select it by ear. I do know that I’ve always found a 1M pot far too aggressive, even with the reverse taper. I prefer the linear taper and limit the range with a parallel resistor if necessary. The result will approach that of a reverse taper depending on how small the parallel resistor is relative to the value of the pot, though I prefer a more linear sweep.
« Last post by darkbluemurder on January 24, 2024, 04:42:56 AM »
That "More Control" is very useful - it is very similar to the "Bass Contour" by Reverend. I love this in humbucker guitars to shave off some low end - extremely useful for neck humbuckers. With the pot set to zero resistance the cap gets bypassed and no longer has an effect so it is full bass in that position.

Cheers Stephan
The Pickup Place / Re: Air Norton Bridge Position
« Last post by gregr on January 24, 2024, 03:00:56 AM »
The output is on par with that of a PAF. I tried one with an HFH in the neck but couldn’t gel with it. It was really lean and devoid of growl when compared to other pickups with similar output. I found it to be bright, but I think unbalanced is a more apt description. I only tried it in one guitar so take it with a grain of salt. If I were to give it another go it would be in an HSS configuration.

I’m looking forward to your review.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10