Anyone try Satch Track in Bridge?

• 5 Replies

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Anyone try Satch Track in Bridge?
« on: July 27, 2020, 01:49:35 AM »
Anyone?  From the tone/output chart it seems like a slightly tighter Chopper, but we all know the tone chart can be........misleading at times. 

BluesJam

Re: Anyone try Satch Track in Bridge?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 05:22:07 AM »
I don’t have a ST.  I’m assuming the pickup would be a tad brighter in the upper mids  and more clarity.  Joe’s neck pickups were never muddy, so I’m assuming there is a shift in the EQ with improved clarity/string balance.

marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 06:20:43 AM »
I’ve tried it and the PAF Joe in the bridge of different guitars. Though they were both developed with asymmetrical coils for the sake of getting that specific notched, vocal/tubular sound in the neck position, it translates to a bright PAF sound in bridge position. Forgive my purely subjective impressions when I say that they struck me as sounding like a 36th anniversary PAF tweaked to fall somewhere between the EJ bridge and Humbucker from Hell, in terms of bright pickups. I’m not much for single-sized bridge humbuckers; so putting the Satch Track in the bridge was never intended to be more than a goof. But I’m still tweaking the (similarly voiced) PAF Joe in the bridge of one guitar and, so far, I haven’t swapped it out for a 36 like I expected to.

If you’re asking because you have an unused Satch Track, I’d hazard to say that it’s close enough to the Chopper and Pro Track that you wouldn’t need to buy either one. If you’re asking for the sake of buying a Satch Track to use in the bridge, I’d recommend trying the Pro Track or Chopper first; being as the ST derives from both.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:26:08 AM by marcwormjim »

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 02:35:24 PM »
Yeah I've got one laying around, along with the others.   All my comparisons are leading me to use Choppers in strat type guitars where, for whatever reason, I want a bridge bucker.   Just curious what to expect if I did it.

Pro Track and Chopper are not nearly close sounding pickups by the way, I recently had both in the same guitar back to back.  Not even close.

Have you ever used the Chopper and the ST in the bridge of the same guitar and what did you find the tonal differences to be?

marcwormjim

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 01:06:54 AM »
I haven’t used the Chopper outside of playing a Bumblefoot sig at NAMM; and defer to your experience. Would you mind elaborating on the differences you found between it and the Pro Track?

A bigger Satriani fan will correct me on this, but I recall phases of him using the Pro Track and Chopper in his 24 fret Ibanezes before committing to the Satch Track specs as a signature variation. Having no experience with the Chopper, I wonder if it was intended either to split the difference between them, or just be a single-sized version of the PAF Joe.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 05:32:44 AM »
The comparison thread is here: http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,8138.0.html

My guess is that with the Satch Track Neck JS wanted a clearer version of the Chopper to use in the neck, which the published spec seem to reflect.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b