Noob asking for help

• 1 Replies

Offline JimEVee

• View Profile
Noob asking for help
« on: July 09, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »
Dear pickup experts :

I have an abused pre owned fender 50s Japanese telecaster ..I think those were made in the nineties at some point ..My plan since the guitar is basswood that doesn't have that "twang" is to repair it repaint it and install some real rock set of pickups ...I decided to go with a mini humbucker for neck and a full humbucker on bridge.

Here is my trouble now : I play everything from funk, classic rock, to shreddy stuff  virtuosity etc. I also have a soft soft spot for 80s melodic metal , rock and AOR... My pickup choices as a Dimarzio fan for this particular built are :
1. DP 240 mini humbucker on bridge
2. Andy Timmons AT-1 or the Steve Lukather transition for bridge .....

What do you guys think would be the best choice ..anything else would work better ? Can I install also a super switch for extra versatility??
On YouTube there are no good clips of the for mentioned pickups especially the AT-1....

Please help?

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Re: Noob asking for help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
Have you considered a FRED? One of the guys in one of my former band installed one in his soloist and it was great for 80s metal, hard rock, shredding, etc. Just sounded real "alive", for lack of a better term, with a loud 50 watt Marshall. I don't know what the rest of your rig is like, but I have installed it for many a rock guy who does more chops oriented playing and they have always been happy with it. I don't really have any experience with the AT-1, so maybe someone who DOES will chime in.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else