Trouble installing DiMarzio super distortion S in strat

• 22 Replies

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Re: Trouble installing DiMarzio super distortion S in strat
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
As you'll get better quack using the bridge side of your bucker when split, I'd switch positions of your neck and middle pickups if they are the same wind.  That way you get N up on your middle pup (you did that mag test on the string side of the pickups and not the control cavity side right?).

Then there are two options for polarity.  If your singles are like most, they are wired so the "hot" wire is out of electrical phase with the humbucker (note we have to worry about two "phases".  What you want is magnetically out of phase but electrically in phase). 

Given your current setup is S up middle and black hot is causing an out of phase issue, put your single coil hot wires back to stock and use red hot, black and white together, green ground.  If you want the better sounding bridge coil plus middle in pos 2, switch your neck and middle, do white hot, green and red together, black ground.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
2nd thought:  Is your current wiring giving you no hum but thin sound?  Then your magnet measurements are wrong.  Your DiMarzio using black lead is N, therefore lets assume your middle pickup is N, not S. 

If that's the case, wire white hot, green/red together, black ground.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 04:12:42 PM »
You don't need to remagnetize your pickups lol. Talk about killing a fly with a nuke.

Just wire them right. 

Stew mac sells a cheap polarity tester, invest in one.

BluesJam

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 05:45:17 PM »
Actually, re-magnetization is quite easy.  Extending the middle pickup leads and putting it in the neck position is an option, too.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 11:17:51 PM »
Actually, re-magnetization is quite easy.  Extending the middle pickup leads and putting it in the neck position is an option, too.

I wouldn't think it's easy for someone having trouble understanding polarity and how to figure out 4 conductor wiring.  And, as it happens, not the easiest solution.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 02:58:32 AM »
2nd thought:  Is your current wiring giving you no hum but thin sound?  Then your magnet measurements are wrong.  Your DiMarzio using black lead is N, therefore lets assume your middle pickup is N, not S. 

If that's the case, wire white hot, green/red together, black ground.

This.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Razzle1980

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »
Hi guys, I appreciate everyone's response in helping me resolve this issue. I switched the black and white wires and that seems to resolve the issue. Position 2 is stronger than before, but still a bit low in volume which I'm assuming is normal. Thanks

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 02:33:57 AM »
Glad you solved it. A bit less output than the full humbuckers is normal - that's part of the versatility of HSS.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b