Starting points for Super D and PAF ?

• 2 Replies

Offline SwampDonkey

• View Profile
Starting points for Super D and PAF ?
« on: June 21, 2020, 01:34:28 AM »
So.  I have this super cool Westbury standard ..one of the original ones.  But modified extensively.  Never seen anything like it! But anyway.   It has a super d in the bridge and paf in the neck.  I know, it is entirely a subjective thing "use my ears" and so on.  And I have. I've also read all the blogs from stewmac,, Seymour Duncan etc. I have a handle on the conventional wisdom.    But knowledge ain't a bad thing. What I have *not* seen is the exact specs from super d/paf owners regarding their pickup height.  Not to copy them ofc.  Nothing like that.    If I use dimarzios suggested baseline,well it seems to be too close.  So where is a good starting point for the super d, height wise?  Where do you have yours set? Is it uniform or tilted(bass/treble) ? Also, same re paf (neck) and lastly, what is your pickup height setting procedure/best praxis? Thank y'all! (Pics linked)https://m.imgur.com/a/DzbBs8N
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:43:48 AM by SwampDonkey »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Starting points for Super D and PAF ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »
With the bridge pickup, I always start out at about 5/64" (2mm) from the fretted string and adjust to taste from there. The SuperD is pretty powerful, so you don't want to get it too close to the strings. With the PAF in the neck, I would start at 5/64ths on the treble side but set the bass side a bit further down at 8/64ths (3mm). You can also play with the pole pieces heights. Having them down flush with the pickup top often creates a firmer/harder/more present tone, where raising them up out of the bobbin creates a softer/rounder/airier tone. Playing around with the heights can really have a huge impact on the balance of tone the guitar has.

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
Re: Starting points for Super D and PAF ?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 09:58:36 AM »
Again - I don't know.  The height is different on every guitar.  A bass one might be tilted treble, a trebly one tilted to bass.  Your guitar, amp, fx etc.  and yes....ears are not mine.