Author Topic: Pickups you have changed your mind about...  (Read 212 times)

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Pickups you have changed your mind about...
« on: June 20, 2020, 12:01:40 am »
Over the years, my opinion of certain pickups has changed quite a bit. Some pickups like the Air Zone, I have always gotten along with in many guitars. Some that I initially disliked in one guitar, like the Norton bridge, became a favorite when I installed it in a PRS Singlecut. The 36th Anniversary went from bland to amazing when I put them in a Les Paul where they belong. I also found the Breed bridge boring until I put it in a Jackson DK2M. Some that I began playing years ago like the Duncan JB and Jazz are my least favorites now. Every time I retry them, I like them for a few days and then they start getting on my nerves again. Some like the Cruiser single coil I had to learn how to use, and now I love it. I left some, like the Duncan 59, behind long ago thinking I could find something better for an SG Standard only to return full circle and wonder why I wanted anything else.

What pickups have you liked or disliked only to change your mind later?

Offline BluesJam

• View Profile
Re: Pickups you have changed your mind about...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 01:30:10 am »
DiMarzio HS4.  Kinda weak and there is a slight blanket over the sound which annoyed me over time.  Nothing beats a true single coil.  FS1 and Super Distortions work for me.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 11:42:18 am »
I used to love the hs-3 until I FINALLY tried a VVHB2. That one is my go to neck pickup for a single coil tone. I too got really annoyed with the JB until I finally, at the behest of one of the members here, tried it with a 250k pot. I is back in my top 10. The '59 is STILL my favorite neck pickup. It just sings for solos. Almost a kind of single coil vibe to it with gain.

Offline BluesJam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:09:07 pm »
HS4...I loved the note separation and it sounded better in split mode and had a nice quiet single coil sound.  I did not like the “blanket” that series tone held and the weakness of the pickup output annoyed me.   Sometimes I miss that single coil tone in split mode, but my FS1 is a better pickup overall.