Dimarzio Air Classics vs PAF 36th anniversary sets

• 2 Replies

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
Dimarzio Air Classics vs PAF 36th anniversary sets
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
Hi.

I´m interested in these sets for a 25 inch, Korina body and neck (no maple cap), rosewood fingerboard PRS SE Singlecut.

Besides output and midrange emphasis, what are the main differences between these two sets (in terms of brightness/warmthm clarity, string separation, etc.)?.

Which one would give my guitar a "more balanced" tone?.

Thanks.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio Air Classics vs PAF 36th anniversary sets
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »
I held off commenting because it has been a long time since I had the Air Classics. From my recollection, I found the Air Classics fairly underpowered and boring. They did not have much bite and seemed too rounded off. I love the 36th Set in a Les Paul or PRS type guitar. Great set that covers a wide range of tones.

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio Air Classics vs PAF 36th anniversary sets
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »
I held off commenting because it has been a long time since I had the Air Classics. From my recollection, I found the Air Classics fairly underpowered and boring. They did not have much bite and seemed too rounded off. I love the 36th Set in a Les Paul or PRS type guitar. Great set that covers a wide range of tones.

Thanks. In the end, I opted to install an Air Classic Neck humbucker and a PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge pup. I love clarity in the neck position, and something beefier, with more mids, at the bridge. Just personal preference. Eagerly waitng to pickup my guitar and play!.