Questions about Fantom P90 (humbucker-sized: DP279N)

• 6 Replies

Offline am314159

• View Profile
Questions about Fantom P90 (humbucker-sized: DP279N)
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »
Hi! (I'm new here, first post \o/)

Tried emailing [email protected] a few days ago. No response yet but thought I'd might be worth checking if anyone knows on the forum too.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Fantom P90 (humbucker sized: DP279N).

First of all: I have yet to see these offered by any EU dealers. Have you not yet started offering these in Europe? (and if so, any indication of when you will?) Are you aware of any EU dealers currently offering these? I'd rather not have to deal with additional VAT and customs fees.

Secondly, about pairing these with other pickups. They are listed as medium power despite having a rather high resistance rating (I'm assuming due to internal dummy/noise-cancelling coils). Are there any particular considerations I should be aware of when pairing these with a single coil in a HSH configuration? I'd prefer something more vintage stratty or even slightly mid-scooped to contrast the mid-push of the P90s. Can I expect any strange/undesired effects of the novel construction of the Fantom P90s when wired in parallel with a more traditional pickup?

Any particular single-coil pickup(s) in the Dimarzio range you would recommend paired with Fantom P90s in a HSH configuration?

Cheers!
Andreas

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Fantom P90 (humbucker-sized: DP279N)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 03:02:30 AM »
I checked about a month ago and came to the same conclusion: apparently they have not yet crossed the pond. If they are as hot as the output rating suggests I see it primarily as a bridge position candidate.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline am314159

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 04:43:35 AM »
If they are as hot as the output rating suggests I see it primarily as a bridge position candidate.
So are they actually that hot? The output rating in millivolts is almost identical to the soapbar Vintage P90 and Virtual P90 (which I guess at least in theory should be more indicative of perceived output than resistance - at least within the Dimarzio product line)

So I guess another way of phrasing my question is which rating is most important to look at when pairing pickups (especially both used in parallel rather than each on their own) - millivolts or kiloohms?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 03:25:11 AM »
When looking at output the mV is a far better indicator. DC resistance can be misleading as pickups are wound with different wire gauges. PAF type pickups are would with 42 AWG whereas e.g. a Duncan JB is wound with 44 AWG (which is two steps thinner than 42 AWG). Thinner wire has more DC resistance so if you fit the same number of turns on a bobbin with 42 AWG and with 44 AWG, the 44 AWG wound bobbin would show more DC resistance but would not (all other parameters being equal) produce more output. The output of a pickup is mostly determined by the number of turns in the coil and the magnet structure.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 06:24:35 AM »
As regards my earlier suggestion as candidate for the bridge spot - if you use a hot humbucker in the bridge the Fantom 90 may work well in the neck spot.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 03:51:12 PM »
I don't know anyone who has actually heard them yet but I'm curious.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:07:36 AM »
+1. I only saw one for sale at an Italian online store but otherwise they do not seem to be available in Europe. Not even the big T has them.