Dimarzio FS-1 upside down (Hendrix Style)

• 7 Replies

Offline Theobalt

• View Profile
Dimarzio FS-1 upside down (Hendrix Style)
« on: June 08, 2020, 09:23:09 PM »
Hi!

I am having fun switching around pickups on the same guitar. I have a SSL-5, a FS-1 and a True Velvet. Just to hear what they do at different places.

At the neck position, the FS-1 shows more bass and more treble and less mids than the SSL5, which seems to be all mids. But I would not say that the FS-1 is mid scooped, there is still a lot of mids, compared to a more traditional strat pickup, like the true velvet for example, which at the neck position sounds quite a bit mid scooped. All three sound good at the neck position, but I prefer the kind of snarl you get from the FS-1 when you dig hard on the strings. So, at the neck, my preference is FS-1 for lead, True Velvet for rhythm (and you can always kick in the tubescreamer for lead stuff with the True Velvet).

At the middle position, I have yet to try the SSL-5 and they FS-1. :)

At the bridge, well, here is where I have questions for you folks. The way the wood is cut on my guitar makes it impossible for the wires to exit the pickup towards the bridge, since the pickup must be installed flush to the wood. No problem with the SSL-5, whose wires come out from under the pickup and whose base plate is symmetrical and flush with the plastic cover. But, with the FS-1, the baseplate is not symmetrical and the wires should normally come out on the bridge side when the pickup is in the right orientation. Because of the way the wood is cut, like I said above, I have no choice but to install the FS-1 on the wrong side, or Hendrix style like I prefer to say ;). Anyone knows, ideally from experience, how this affects the sound of the FS-1?

Otherwise, the FS-1 installed Hendrix style is clearly less hot than the SSL-5. The SSL-5 calls for total fuzz mayhem! :). Which is how David Gilmour uses it most of the time anyway. The FS-1 retains a more straty feeling than the SSL-5 overall. Up to now I have the feeling that the FS-1 is more versatile than the SSL-5.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dimarzio FS-1 upside down (Hendrix Style)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 03:02:49 AM »
I would not worry too much about "Hendrix style" - I am sure JH did not. I think he did this thing out of necessity, having to use a right handed guitar playing left handed. Most of his tone is his playing style.

The only concern I would have is whether the strings are about equally loud or whether there is an overly weak or hot string. Given that the old strat pickups had the magnet stagger for a string set with a wound G string, the G magnet was the highest so playing it reverse would put the highest magnet under the D string, which may improve the balance. From the pictures of the Fs-1 on the net it appears that the D and G magnets are about the same height so it should not matter.

With the set of pickups you have I would probably go (from bridge to neck) SSL-5, FS-1, TV.

I am not surprised that the FS-1 retains a stratty feeling as it was intended to do so. It was designed to be a strat bridge pickup that better balances with the vintage style pickups in the neck and middle and not to change the tone radically.

Cheers Stephan

Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Theobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »
With the set of pickups you have I would probably go (from bridge to neck) SSL-5, FS-1, TV.

Exactly the next setup I plan to try!

Looking at the height of the magnet on the FS-1, the only possible effect would be the B and high E to be a tad louder and the lower E and A to be a tad softer. The stagger is nearly symmetrical. A rotated SSL-5 (or TV) might have more effect on balance between strings.

BluesJam

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 01:26:52 AM »
It should not make any difference.  On my FS-1, the E&A pokes are the same length as the B& high E.  The D&G are the same height.   You could have ordered flat magnet stagger from DiMarzio if you knew of these issues beforehand.  Regardless, I think it’s a moot point if you rotate the pickup.  There is no change of the magnetic poles or winding direction.  Obviously, phasing is always an issue mixing pickups from different manufacturers.

Offline Theobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 01:18:35 PM »
Finally, I decided to put back the SSL-5 in the bridge position and I moved the FS-1 in the middle position. Together, they are in phase and hum cancelling (nice!). The True Velvet is RWRP so it is hum cancelling with the FS-1. Nice setup in the end!

BluesJam

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 08:02:48 PM »
That is an unusual setup to have both the SSL5 and FS1.  It does not appear to be a well balanced setup.  The FS1 should be slightly hotter than the SSL5, too.  The FS1 and (2) true velvets probably would be a better combo for the Hendrix thing... imho. 

Also,  the magnetic pull is very strong on the FS1.  I lower mine to get a bit more sustain and clarity.  Link (2) metal paper clips and dangle them over the pickups.  You can actually feel the pull on the strings.  I prefer a light pull.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:04:39 PM by BluesJam »

Offline Theobalt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »
Yeah, I know it is not an usual setup, but I did with the pickups I had in hand. ;)

The SSL-5 is notably hotter than the FS-1, although the resistance of the FS-1 is slightly higher. So, based on how hot the pickups are, my current setup is ok, the bridge pickup (SSL-5) being the hottest.

The FS-1 in the middle is quite interesting, as it gives a warmer option to the true velvet, for an increased versatility of the guitar without being too far away tonewise. And there is the SSL-5 for distorted tones and total fuzz mayhem.  :madness:

The height of the FS-1 is currently 7mm from the low E pole and 5mm from the High E pole when I press down the strings on the last fret. Is it somewhat akin to your own setup?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:27:16 PM by Theobalt »

BluesJam

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
Exactly..., move is 5mm on both sides.  To me, low magnetic pull gives me better tone and sustain.