Red velvet in neck?

• 3 Replies

Offline angry boy jester

• View Profile
Red velvet in neck?
« on: May 06, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »
Hi guys. Any help would be really appreciated.
I got an sss basswood strat w/ rosewood fingerboard and I have the Injector in the bridge which I love. I want to replace mid and neck pickups (some ceramic wilkinsons) and I got for really cheap a red velvet in hand so I am thinking to install it in neck position. I am looking for a fat sound slightly more power than typical vintage pickups. I am playing heavy blues , rock, alternative.
I haven't found anywhere any useful info on how the red velvet sounds in the neck. Anybody here with experience?
My concern is that it has (according to Dimarzio site) the same output with the Injector bridge. Do you think that it will overpower in the neck?
As for the mid position  I was thinking for the area 61. So to go the Injector/61/red velvet combo. Would it make more sense to have the red velvet in the mid and the 61 in the neck?
Thank you for your time
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:44:20 AM by angry boy jester »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Red velvet in neck?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 02:51:26 AM »
Area 61 in the middle should be OK, even though I mostly prefer the Area 58 for that position.

No experience with the Red Velvet. As you already have it, just try it in the neck position and see whether you like it or what you don't like about it. Then it will be easier to advise on the next step (if necessary).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline angry boy jester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 06:01:17 AM »
Thank you Stephan. I might go for the 58 middle then  ;)

Offline angry boy jester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 08:38:14 AM »
Update: I finally installed the Red velvet in the neck of my strat and it is exactly what I wanted and imagined that to be. Big fat straty sound with a little more output and fast attack.
It has great balance with the Injector in the bridge and the true velvet that I finally decided to go for in the middle.
I highly recommend this combo (Injector/true velvet/red velvet) if you are in favor of a more fat sound from your strat without losing the guitars character.

My next strat project plan though goes for the HB2/54 Pro/area 61 combo. Just out of curiosity and to explore things some more.