Mega drive in bridge, what in neck?

• 4 Replies

Offline penaali_ana

• View Profile
Mega drive in bridge, what in neck?
« on: April 12, 2020, 02:41:56 PM »
Hey!

I have a mega drive laying around and and I am planning to install it in some of my guitar at some point. Usually I like quite hot neck pick ups with similar tone character as the bridge pick up. I'm also using a lot of parallel/series switch.

I had megadrive in my Charvel model 5 and I tried paf pro and evo neck with it. Paf pro worked well but evo was little bit too middy compared to bridge sound. I also like air norton in 24 fret guitars with mid heavy bridge pick ups but I'm quite sure it is not the pick up I'm looking for.

So the paf pro might be the pick up but what other there there is to go with the mega drive in bridge position? I already having paf pro in neck position of my Charvel so cal and I want to try something new.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mega drive in bridge, what in neck?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 02:42:26 AM »
I may not be the best person to reply as I usually look for very different things in a neck pickup. If you like the PAF Pro as a baseline, then FRED may be something to consider.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline jule7625

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
I have recently bought a Megadrive and PAF Pro for an all Maple SG. I was very tempted to go for the Liquifire. I am sure that the PAF Pro will be fine. But in the back of my mind, I will be wondering what the Liquifire would have been like...

Offline penaali_ana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 04:43:54 PM »
I might try fred. I have one of those and I never really liked it in the bridge position it has been waiting in my collection. I never tried it in neck and hopefully it is what I'm looking for. I also have humbucker from hell. I tried it once and I don't even remember how it sounded. Its output is propably too low for me, but maybe I'm going to give it a second change.

Offline nizz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »
i have a mega drive in bridge, evolution middle sc, and a paf pro in neck of one of my main rg550's.. (desert sun yellow and PINK pikcups of course).  sounds delicious