Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Press Release : DiMarzio releases Fortitude Pickup
« on: January 16, 2020, 02:40:09 PM »
Staten Island, N.Y., January 16, 2020 -- DiMarzio, Inc. announces the release of the Fortitude™ Bridge (DP290) pickup for electric guitars to be shown at the 2020 NAMM Expo in Anaheim, California.

View a video of Joe Duplantier talking about and demonstrating the Fortitude™ Bridge pickup [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NIs4KQ4ZvU ]

Gojira guitarist and lead vocalist Joe Duplantier favors the tonality and nuances of a vintage PAF®. Joe had specific requirements based on adjustments made in his Silver Cord Recording Studio.

First and foremost, he wanted a passive pickup that was vintage-sounding. For Joe, it’s all about the dynamic; he wants people to hear what he’s doing on the strings with his hands and the pick. He feels that’s the part of the chain that adds the spirit, soul, and life to the sound and prevents it from being flat.

Most of Joe’s riffs are on the bridge pickup, and he says it needs to sound “killer.” The Fortitude™ Bridge is very precise, very sharp, and Joe can get all sorts of percussive sounds with it.

The Fortitude™ Bridge is based on the PAF® 36th Anniversary Bridge with a few modifications. The clarity of a low output humbucker allows it to cut through with different tunings and high gain. Joe wanted the pickup to have a boost at 160Hz of about 1.5db, a touch more low-end, and a notch down around 500/600Hz. The Fortitude™ Bridge features vintage tone with a twist.

Joe suggested calling the pickup Fortitude because “it’s simple, it’s honest, it’s straight to the point, and it’s strong.”

The Fortitude™ Bridge maintains the vintage PAF® quality, yet produces some low-end muscle as you hit the strings harder. Basically, it’s a vintage style humbucker that can step out of the box.

Joe pairs the Fortitude™ Bridge with a PAF® 36th Anniversary Neck (DP103) for his signature sound.

The Fortitude™ Bridge is available in standard- and F-spacing.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

marcwormjim

Re: Press Release : DiMarzio releases Fortitude Pickup
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 02:02:07 AM »
mv rating is 290. I’ll have to check out how this compares to the Al Di Meola.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:03:38 AM by marcwormjim »

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 02:27:15 AM »
Welp I know what's going in the bridge of my Strandy now. Joe's riffing tone is to die for.

Offline Mew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 05:30:46 AM »
DiMarzio needs pickup like EQ of Virtual PAF Bridge, with output of Air Classic bridge. ;)
6/6/5 with 230 mv output. ;)

We don't need tons of hot pafs. ;)
We have 36th, PAF Master and now this. 3 very similar pickups. -.-

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »
36th and master only similar in paper output, not in tone.  At least not more than any 2 pickups in the paf family are similar in tone.  Two wines may be red, they may even both be merlot, but there is a massive range in taste there. 

I'm curious to hear this.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 09:51:44 PM »
Dimarzio dropped a demo with Joe on their youtube channel. It's all Gojira stuff, so if you're not into that it's not gonna be the demo for you, but uh, it sounds pretty bitchin' for the heavy stuff.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:22:23 AM »
I've been trying to buy this direct from DiMarzio for over a week.

keep getting kicked around from one person to another.

you'd think putting $ directly in their hands would be more appealing to them than the retailer taking a piece of their action.

::) ::) ::)
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Iron1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 05:09:57 AM »
Did anyone get one yet? If so, review?

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 07:31:48 AM »
I just bought the Fortitude yesterday for the bridge of my 2000 PRS Singlecut together with a Bluebucker for the neck position.
The current stock PRS Pickups No. 7 bridge and neck suck bigtime.
But I'm in Europe and I ordered them from banjomikez in the US so it will be another 7 - 8 days before I can drop them in.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
Probably anything will be an improvement compared the PRS #7s. While I could tolerate the bridge pickup, the neck pickup is a low output mudbomb.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 07:58:20 AM »
...the neck pickup is a low output mudbomb.
Absolutely, I agree 1000%!!! It was so muddy in my first PRS Singlecut (2006) that I almost thought the guitar was a problem. When I changed the 7's to Bareknuckle SILO's, I really discovered how well the neck pickup can sound.
My newly acquired '00 Singlecut, had exactly the same mudbomb neck pickup problem (and uninspiring bridge). I just wanted a different flavor for the '00 (hence the Fortitude & Bluesbucker).

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:25 AM »
Did anyone get one yet? If so, review?

nope.

tried to work with dimarzio on this, but at this point I'd rather slam my no-no bits in a car door than interact with the Office Coven in Staten Island

If so, review?

sounds like it's up to you to do the heavy lifting.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram