Output and EQ-wise, which noiseless single is closest to a Fast Track 1?

• 20 Replies

Offline gregr

• View Profile
Re: Output and EQ-wise, which noiseless single is closest to a Fast Track 1?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »
Thanks. I think the Injector Neck will be the plan. I have one with me now to try before I order one without a flange.

I have an FT1 in the middle which is working surprisingly well; especially when partially shunting one of the coils on the Chopper for position 2.  However, I’m thinking of replacing the FT1 with an Injector Bridge and setting it a bit lower, just to be a bit more Stratty in positions 2-4.

My amp settings are favoring humbuckers, so I’m looking for something with a bit more push in the low mids, hence I’m choosing the Injector Bridge over something like the HB2 which would be the “safe” bet, or the Area 67, which, for me, would make position 3 completely useless. Besides, I like breaking the rules.

Anyone know if I can get an Injector Bridge in RW/RP?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:34:12 AM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
BNIB, PAF Pro, HFH, Air Norton, LiquiFire, EJ Neck, V Mini N&B
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 01:43:28 AM »
An update if anyone cares. The Injector in the neck is still pretty weak against the Chopper in the bridge, but useable. I’d say a Satch Track would be a better pairing with an Injector in the neck if someone wants to go that route.  However, the Injector sounds like a good single coil at amp settings that favor the Chopper so I’d call that a win.

There’s an Area 61 in the middle and quack is good, all things considered. Quack with the Chopper when the inside coil is partially shunted is also quite nice. Much better than full coil cut, IMO.

Rolling back the volume that has a treble bleed approaches the traditional Strat tones.

I’m wondering whether to swap out the Area 61 for a reverse polarity Injector Bridge to get position 3 on par with position 5. I just don’t want the quack to suffer.  Reverse polarity so that I can disable the dummy coils of both injectors so the combination will be as bright as possible and still have hum cancellation.

Would anyone mind sharing some insight as to what I might expect by putting an Injector Bridge in the middle spot?  What will happen to the tone if I drop it down a little lower?

I’m used using pickups calibrated to the position rather than using a weak/bright single in the middle. As an example I much prefer an Area 58 in the middle with an Area 67 in the neck instead of the other way around.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:50:24 AM by gregr »
Areas 58/61/67/Hot T, VV 54P/B/HB2, InjN. FT1&2, Satch Track. Corgan & Timmons sets.
Duncan SSL-2&6T, Lil Demon, JBJrN, HotRailN. 59, Jazz/APH & Full Shred sets. JB, Customs_2/5/Ceramic, Seymourizer II, Screamin’ Demon
Various hybrids

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 05:06:52 AM »
An update if anyone cares. The Injector in the neck is still pretty weak against the Chopper in the bridge, but useable. I’d say a Satch Track would be a better pairing with an Injector in the neck if someone wants to go that route.  However, the Injector sounds like a good single coil at amp settings that favor the Chopper so I’d call that a win.

That's good to hear. I had Chopper bridge/Injector neck/neck in one of my strats and I found them balanced volume wise. It is a different tone though.

There’s an Area 61 in the middle and quack is good, all things considered. Quack with the Chopper when the inside coil is partially shunted is also quite nice. Much better than full coil cut, IMO.

Rolling back the volume that has a treble bleed approaches the traditional Strat tones.

I’m wondering whether to swap out the Area 61 for a reverse polarity Injector Bridge to get position 3 on par with position 5. I just don’t want the quack to suffer.  Reverse polarity so that I can disable the dummy coils of both injectors so the combination will be as bright as possible and still have hum cancellation.

Would anyone mind sharing some insight as to what I might expect by putting an Injector Bridge in the middle spot?  What will happen to the tone if I drop it down a little lower?

Unfortunately, no experience with that.

I’m used using pickups calibrated to the position rather than using a weak/bright single in the middle. As an example I much prefer an Area 58 in the middle with an Area 67 in the neck instead of the other way around.

Me too. I prefer the 67 over the 58 in the neck, the 58 over the 67 in the middle, prefer the neck/middle combo that way and also the bridge/middle combo with whatever is in the bridge spot (tried it with Virtual Solo and Chopper, in SSS set ups, Virtual Hot PAF and Air Norton in HSS set ups and Area 615T in a guitar with a TSS set up).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
The Injector is as high as it can be without warble so I lowered the Chopper. Things are balanced nicely now.

The only problem is the height of the Chopper was previously set to work well against the Satch Track. It wasn’t super high; lower than what is recommended in the DiMarzio FAQ. I like the Satch Track somewhat high in order to get some midrange push. The Chopper was then set to match at the mids and I liked the aggressiveness I was getting from it. Hopefully the ST won’t sound scooped once I get it back in there. It should help that it will be moved a bit closer to the bridge.

The pots were also switched to 250k with the Chopper now only being loaded by the volume control.

I should be able to try it later on today.

I might keep the Area 61 for a while and see how it goes. It will be great if I can get some feedback about a RW/RP Injector Bridge in the middle. I’d rather not risk getting one to find out that l don’t like the quack because it wasn’t bright enough.
Various hybrids

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 10:41:34 AM »
You don't need a rw injector in the middle. Just make sure you wire the coil split correctly when you split it and the chopper.

Offline gregr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
It’s to coil split with both the Injector and the outer coil of the Chooper, so it’s gotta be RW/RP if I want hum cancellation.

It appears the Chopper is too strident with a 250k load and no tone control.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:16:26 PM by gregr »
Various hybrids