Actual Dimarzio Humbucker closest to T-TOP specs

• 3 Replies

Offline Neromanto

• View Profile
Actual Dimarzio Humbucker closest to T-TOP specs
« on: December 24, 2019, 06:47:28 PM »
Hi guys. is there today a Dimarzio Humbucker closest to Gibson T-TOPs?
Guys at Dimarzio said that Air Classic would be the closest, but I'm not sure because of their specs.

In case it doesn't exist, you have a suggestion for humbuckers for LP to obtain U2 sounds?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:52:38 PM by Neromanto »

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
Re: Actual Dimarzio Humbucker closest to T-TOP specs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »
Any one of their PAF type pickups should be pretty similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 09:31:00 AM »
Hi guys. is there today a Dimarzio Humbucker closest to Gibson T-TOPs?
Guys at Dimarzio said that Air Classic would be the closest, but I'm not sure because of their specs.

In case it doesn't exist, you have a suggestion for humbuckers for LP to obtain U2 sounds?

If you want a T Top, track one down.

Nothing on the DiMarzio menu stands out as being close enough to a T Top to seriously consider. If you contacted DiMarzio tech support and they said to try the Air Classic, give it a go if that’s up your alley. If you contacted sales, I’d encourage you to be certain by contacting tech support....based on my own experiences.

There are many clones that you can find via Google.

Manlius Pickups actually makes something they call a TTop Clone. You can also ask a builder like Brandonwound. The Duncan Angus Young model (aka High Voltage) is in there around a PAT and TTop sort of vibe. The BKP PG Blues is a contender, if you’re ok with the OOP in the middle position...but the BKP Stormy Monday might be something to look at, which is not as soft as some people suggest... the BKP Riff Raff might also be an option.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

BluesJam

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
If you want T Tops then spend the money and buy them...Period.  No replicas.  In reality, T-Tops are catch phrases.  Back on the day, many guitarists took Gibson Pickups out of their guitars for DiMarzio or Duncan Super Distortions or PAF replicas. Today, people want them back....possibly nostalgia.

Any pickup winder other than Gibson is still not an original Gibson pickup.  Buy what makes you happy.  In reality, any pickup would to T-Top Specs should get you in the ball park.  No-one can replicate the specific winding process and age and materials of a 40 year old pickup....which many ended up in a landfill back in the 1980’s.