D Act.-X mod...

• 5 Replies

Strangeman86

D Act.-X mod...
« on: December 09, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »
Here we go again folks, the mod train is leaving the station!  I love the overall voice of the DAX, but it's really thick and a bit dull in my current guitar (which is dark sounding in general).  So, necessity (perceived or not) is the mother of invention.  I've used the magnet setup from the Imperium in other pickups before (foam pad between the base plate and a 3/16" thick ceramic magnet).  So out came the three stock ceramic magnets from the DAX and in went the slightly thinner magnet and the foam pad for support.  The results, as most may suspect, aren't all that surprising.  The output is certainly reduced, although I seriously doubt it's less than 430mv or so, and the highs are greatly opened up yielding increased clarity.  The high-impact voicing remains largely the same, just tailored more towards what my guitar likes.  I've said it before, I know most folks likely won't completely gut one pickup for the sake of another.  But if it's stupid and it works, maybe it isn't stupid.  I hope the day finds you all well.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: D Act.-X mod...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing your findings!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 11:47:39 PM »
Awesome!! Do you have before and after sound samples of all your mods?

Strangeman86

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
I'm afraid not.  I have no way to record them unfortunately.

Offline littlebadboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
If not into pc recording yet, I would suggest take a dab at it. If you already have a computer, all you need is an interface (Behringer has affordable but good options) and a DAW. You can start with Audacity which is free.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:04:56 PM »
I'll toss in another recommendation for the Behringer stuff - I have their 8-input U-Phoria interface (the UMC1820) and it's a pretty killer little piece for under $350, but they do a 1-input one for under $70. Same preamp and all, just less inputs.