Tone Zone S vs Super Distortion S

• 2 Replies

Offline shred4Him

• View Profile
Tone Zone S vs Super Distortion S
« on: December 09, 2019, 08:39:21 AM »
It is really hard to look up info on these pickups because of how the "S" doesn't really factor into the search well.

How close is each one to its full-sized counterpart and how are they compared to each other, if anyone knows?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tone Zone S vs Super Distortion S
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »
I can only give you a rough comparison between Super Distortion and Super Distortion S, and even though I had them in different guitars to my ears they sound nothing alike. The S version has a lot less power and none of that sizzle that the full size model has (and which in some guitars can manifest as an annoying buzz). On the other hand, I found the S to have a nasal quality to it. However, the guitar it was in may well have attributed to that factor as the Chopper showed and now the Kinman Big Nine-O shows a similar nasal quality (all with 500k pots) which for example the Virtual Solo in my other strat does not show in the least.

Never played the Tone Zone S.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline shred4Him

• View Profile
Re: Tone Zone S vs Super Distortion S
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »
Thanks.  I am noticing that there are lots of review of the FT2 and a fair amount of the TZ S, but very few for the Super Dist S.  That might say everything that there is to say considering it isn't a new pickup.