Pick Up For Ash Bodied Ibanez

• 2 Replies

jeff5371

« on: November 25, 2019, 10:10:20 PM »
I have an Ibanez with an ash body and maple/walnut neck. (This model in white https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG652AHM) LOVE the guitar. It has the stock Tone Zone and Air Norton and while I like the Tone Zone (not a bad pick up AT all) I feel that it is a bit lacking in the aggressiveness for my taste. But I also need a good, singing lead tone.  I play a ton of hard rock and metal.

I've tried many pick ups, my current favorites are the PRS Tremonti and the Motor City Afwayu, both of which I may try in this guitar. But I'm interested in other recommendations, particularly DiMarzio. I've also heard the BKP Warpig (ceramic version I think) is great in Ash guitars.

Thoughts, opinions? Thanks!

Jeff

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Pick Up For Ash Bodied Ibanez
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 01:11:45 AM »
I really like the Fusion Edge set in my RGR652 AHM - it's basically yours but black, satin, and with a reverse headstock - because it's a very even-sounding pickup. There's enough treble, bass, and mids, without anything overpowering, a bit of natural compression without killing dynamics, and a really nicely defined attack - not too sharp, not too muffled. You get a pretty good representation of what your guitar sounds like with pretty friendly playaibility.
The closest thing you can get at retail is the Titan set IIRC, but you can get the Fusion Edge set for like $80 all day on Reverb.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:02:39 PM »
That MCP is essentially a Duncan JB clone.

The Warpig can be all over the place in as much as the “bolt” screw will be one way and the normal screws will be a very different way. BKP likes to suggest their bolts and normal screws are chosen to sound the same. They are wrong.

PRS Tremonti is basically a Gibson 500T clone. It’s a good pup. If you have one, keep it. If not, find an older 500T, which have more character and are more musical than the current ones.

Just went through many different sets to pair up to an ash body strat with a maple neck. If you want to keep it in the DiMarzio realm, consider the AT1. For more aggressive than that, consider the Dominion.

For BKP, look at the Nailbomb.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:05:00 PM by DarthPhineas »
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram