high-powered Dimarzio that also has great coil split sounds?

• 9 Replies

Offline yanyan

• View Profile
high-powered Dimarzio that also has great coil split sounds?
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
I'm thinking of converting my Stratocaster that has an SSS pickup config to HSH but with series/parallel/single coil switching for all pickups. What are the Dimarzio high-powered models that give a nice coil split sound, close to an SSS Strat with true single coils? My Strat is a 21 fret, so the neck pickup position would be as a 21/22-fret, not a 24-fret, and bridge will not be slanted.

I'm also thinking that i would want the coil splits to be such that, for the bridge the coil closest to the bridge would be on, and for the neck, the coil closest to the neck.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Super Distortion or Super 3 for the bridge, and maybe a Super 2 for the neck. Middle would be a Fast Track 1.

Second choice is Evolution bridge and neck, Fast Track 1 middle.

Third choice is Crunch Lab bridge, Liquifire neck, Fast Track 1 middle.

For reference, my Strat has a Fast Track 1 neck, Chopper middle, and Fast Track 2 bridge.

Thoughts and comments please?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: high-powered Dimarzio that also has great coil split sounds?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
A few things to consider:
Is your strat routed for HSH configuration, or HSS?
Most humbuckers do not work well with the 250k pots in strats. They need 500k pots.
No normal strat switch will do what you want. You will need a superswitch.
The Super D and Super 2 are a great combo, but sometimes they are so similar that they sound like the extended range of one pickup instead of having a distinct shift in tone from neck to bridge. Only a problem if you want a very distinct shift in tone when switching from neck to bridge.

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
In experience: air zone in the bridge great single coil sound when split.... Same for the air norton neck

Offline yanyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
A few things to consider:
Is your strat routed for HSH configuration, or HSS?
Most humbuckers do not work well with the 250k pots in strats. They need 500k pots.
No normal strat switch will do what you want. You will need a superswitch.
The Super D and Super 2 are a great combo, but sometimes they are so similar that they sound like the extended range of one pickup instead of having a distinct shift in tone from neck to bridge. Only a problem if you want a very distinct shift in tone when switching from neck to bridge.

I plan to enlarge the cavity into a swimming pool route.

I have a 500k volume pot right now. 3 mini switches to do series/parallel/single on each pickup.

Basically i'll be replacing the neck Fast Track 1 and the bridge Fast Track 2 with full-size humbuckers. The Fast Track 1 will move to the middle, replacing the Chopper.

Noted on the Super Distortion and Super 2 similarity, thank you. If i go with the Super Distortion in the bridge, what would make a good neck pairing?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 12:37:36 PM »
The Paf Pro and Liquifire neck also work well with the Super D

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
I have the Breed neck together with the Super Distortion in the bridge in one guitar though I am considering swapping the Breed neck for something else as I want that for the bridge position of another guitar.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Mew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 03:54:37 PM »
If I wanted to do something like it, my starting point would be:
Norton Bridge, Fast Track 1 middle, PAF Pro neck.
It seems like a really okey starting point.

** Side note: Take this just as an idea, an option to explore, not to buy pickup instantly. ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:59:40 PM by Mew »

Offline Mew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 04:40:44 PM »
Just to give you one usefull hint or idea also.
One of my internet gear buddies is using this setup:
Super Distortion bridge, Fast Track 1 middle, Chopper neck.
It did work out for him pretty well. ;)
That's his main guitar and he is pretty much giging it all the time.
He is extremly happy with that setup so .....

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
I had an X2N in the bridge of an hss Washburn back in my metal days and loved the way it sounded split. Combined with the middle single it was AWESOME clean.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline Zhysick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 12:57:31 PM »
Yes, exactlu as Guitar74 said, the X2N is amazing splited and with a PAF Pro in the neck is a great pair unless you go the extra mile and get a ToneZone for the neck position with the X2N in the bridge... hard to find anything hotter than that and splitted is amazing.