Author Topic: Paf Joe or Titan neck  (Read 147 times)

Offline Wrath of nature

• The Forever chasing tone
    • View Profile
Paf Joe or Titan neck
« on: November 09, 2019, 11:16:26 am »
   Hey guys.

Got that Crunch Lab showing up anyday now and I am in a stalemate again. I smoked a Good doobie, did some weights and cranked as much demo types I found on YouTube.

Hunbucker from Hell was a option but opted out as I want a neck pickup as close to a PAF pro as possible but this Titan neck sounds real damn interesting to go with my CRUNCH LAB. Alder body bolt on maple/Rosewood Jackson.

Big bends, huge harmonics, vintage saturated tones like a PAF pro and maintain solid fluid liquid sounds like a Evo neck and PAF pro. I mentioned this before but I keep double checking things. Can a Titan neck reach the same tones as this?
After the best combo between bridge, middle & neck in a 3 way selector. I know it's key in DiMarzios for what I search.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Paf Joe or Titan neck
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 12:37:09 pm »
Definitely not the HFH

Titan doesnít get as much respect around here as it should. I think itíd be the winner based on what youíve suggested.

Also, donít waste too much time on YT videos.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 01:59:38 pm »
    I understand about youtube advice but no ones shredding metal stuff with PaF Joes in the neck that isn't shredding Satriani stuff with Satrianis guitars. Like shred up In Flames, Shadows Fall, Megadeth, Van Halen, Sevendust, anything heavy. I made strong use with a D-Activator/PAF pro but I was a weaker player. This is my year 7 and tone search continues.

Just a PAf Joe may sound good but I play more ear catching rhythms with heavy tone and my lead isn't strong but working into lead playing. Worried it may be too spanky. I use the middle position a lot and neck work stuff also from E flat to Stsndard C. I was amazed a PAF pro really enhances a strong bridge for the middle. All Alder Based.

Darth phineas if I could send you a video of my PAF pro, D-Activator/paf pro work, you could probably nail a better answer.

You said the TITAN neck will be saturated liquid fluid like with strong harmonics,  I think I have a winner..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:08:17 pm by Wrath of nature »
After the best combo between bridge, middle & neck in a 3 way selector. I know it's key in DiMarzios for what I search.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:53:00 pm »
I think the Titan neck shines if you're using it not just at super high gain or super clean all the time, but in between - lower-gain leads, kinda crunchy chords, or edge-of-breakup ambient stuff. It works well with a more modern bridge pickup because you don't have the huge tonal shift from one position to the other. Also works real nice for lower tunings IMO. One of my favorite heavy-shit modern pickups (Kiesel Lithium, Ormsby Nunchucker/De La Creme, and Titan set are the top three).

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 10:18:47 pm »
      I just wanted to know more in its tonal ranges of the TITAN and a PAF Joe? Downtuning was one. Rhythms in Ůż

I wish I knew how to explain smooth fluid spread chords from middle and neck. On my Mahogany axe I use my Evo neck a lot for this but my split coil sounds of the Evo neck are more clear but still those PAF pro squeals or vintage 80's isn't there. The Air Norton is wicked but PAF pro is better. So it's my 3rd shot at something.

This Titan neck is winning this argument.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:24:51 pm by Wrath of nature »

Offline BluesJam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 01:11:09 pm »
I understand your direction of fluid, but I prefer pickups that are articulate with note definition.  Fluid also has to do with your legato skills, too.  Satriani and Richie Kotzen have some serious skills.  Maybe stick with players/ pickups that have a fluid playing style.  The Duncan Slash pickups, like his tone is very smooth, too. YMMV

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 02:30:03 pm »
   Hey there

I had the PAF pros liquid wah sounds and loved every moment with it. Why I sought out the Air Norton but it didn't have exactly what I wanted but damn is it smooth and recommend it for metal players. I have a Evo neck in Mahogany and that's gnarly and crazy liquid like.

I know I dig the strat style blues tones and squeals of that Paf pro with a metal Bridge. Was told the Titan would give me just tha and  I feel sold about  it. Unless the PAF Joes blues PAF pro sound a like would blend better with a Crunch Lab. This Titan neck sounds promising.

P.S. not really following anyone's pickups or styles. Chasing my own tone and playability of my skill at year 7 this November 2019. D-Activator bridge was the Crown at the beginning but I have grown away from it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:17:37 pm by Wrath of nature »

Offline Wrath of nature

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 10:01:41 pm »
   Keep throwing down any more information on either or of these pickups. Strong metal presence stuff and big tone. Clean work I know these 2 will excell with.