pickups for 75 custom...

• 9 Replies

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
pickups for 75 custom...
« on: November 06, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »
hello all...its probably been discussed but its past my bed time...so i figured i just ask...i own a 75 gibson les paul custom she plays great...but i hate playing it through my amp...humming ..i hate it...pots and pickups are original....id tried everything i think to get rid of the humming and feed back on the guitar...my other guitars dont have this issue..my amp is a 75 marshall super lead head modded by dave bray...i dont use any distortion pedals...im looking for pickups for this guitar..my taste of music is mostly 80s hard rock,metal...any suggestion would be great and thankyou

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: pickups for 75 custom...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 02:18:44 AM »
You could try getting the pickups potted and the guitar re-shielded if you want to keep it original. Otherwise maybe a Super Distortion bridge/PAF Pro neck or Norton bridge/Air Classic neck (use the bridge model though to balance the output better). The SD/PAF Pro setup will be hotter and have more mids, while the Norton/AC setup would be a similar vibe to a JB/59 from Duncan but IMO more balanced and less obnoxious.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:15:05 AM »
Those 75 customs have a elaborate shielding system in order to eliminate the bridge ground. Normally the strings are grounded through the bridge (there is a wire going from underneath the bridge post to a ground connection in the wiring cavity). The pots are screwed to a metal plate, and a can covers the electronics. This system is like a Faraday's cage and very effective BUT it also requires that the pickups have metal covers (they are grounded by being soldered to the pickup base plate which is also connected to a ground connection).

Do you use uncovered pickups? If yes, then the Faraday cage is open, and you get hum that does not reduce when you touch the strings.

How do I know? I had one of these beasts in the 80s and faced this exact problem. I removed the covers to lessen the microphonic feedback - only to get more hum in the system.

So if that and microphonic feedback are the problems the steps to solve them would be

1) pot the pickups
2a) put the covers back on or
2b) install a bridge ground wire

Good luck
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:38:14 PM »
Thanks guys...
Stephan ...your right ...I didnt pot the p
u.instead I pulled the covers off and placed a small amount of silly putty between the p.u and covers..to stop any vibration and soldered back together..it did help alittle..and yes the bridge has a red wire that's grounded...I'm thinking of getting pre wired Gibson pot harness..see that works or just go everything again...

Cynthialedly

pickups for 75 custom
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I had some time to jam and tweak and really have things sounding much better at higher volumes.
I did lower the height on my bridge pickup and that helped a lot also.

Out of curiosity how far from the strings do you guys have your active pickups?

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 08:40:36 PM »
Actives, usually about 3-5mm from the strings. Passives, high enough to get a decent output but otherwise as low as they'll go - my current Kiesel Lithiums are like 8mm from the strings, the HSS set in my Strandberg Classic 6 is about 5-6mm depending on the pickup, and the Ormsbys in my Hype GTR are at like 9-10mm.
IMO you get a bit more touch response this way and more variability depending on how you pick a note (pick, fingers, tap, etc.)

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 02:22:20 PM »
found studs in the tailpiece not grounded...solved that issue..put a humbucker from hell in the neck position..sounds very good ..now testing p.u. in bridge...I have on hand Fred..Tone Zone..Air Zone..500t..PAF 36th..PAF Pro..and  a Super Distortion..looking to try also a Bareknuckle holydivers...the Custom have a bright tone to it...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:23:54 PM by w2dodge »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 04:14:01 AM »
Wow - you have a great selection to choose from. I would start with the answer to the question do I want more power than the original bridge pickup. If so, Super Distortion would probably be the first I would try. If I wanted to stay closer to the original pickup in power, PAF Pro or Fred.

Have fun,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 03:50:31 PM »
so far Mr. Fred is sounding very well...not done yet

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 09:15:23 AM »
tried PAF 36 anniversity...made it bright again..next 500t...have it in my 98 classic lp....sounds real good..I also got a 300 pot ...might swap..