Recommend something to me

• 5 Replies

Offline Related to rocks

• View Profile
Recommend something to me
« on: October 26, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
I recently acquired a guitar with my first set of Dimarzio's (an HSH guitar, the Pandemonium set and True Velvet middle) and I really like them. In fact I play them clean to crunch a lot because I am not a shredder and I like the texture and sound I hear. Its a different set up from usual for me as a regular strat player but I like what I am hearing. (Thanks Larry!)

I am looking for a Dimarzio set now for an HH parts guitar build and was considering the Air Classic because I want a clear and articulate neck pickup since I am mostly a single coil player and a bridge that I can rock if I want to but, again, has good clarity. I play blues crunch out of an amp mostly, then clean it up to a degree. I bring up the Air Classic because I am looking for an open coil set and my regular strats are all vintage output so I am used to that. Not sure yet if I will split the neck on a humbucker for this project. Any thoughts from your experience, especially with the Air Classic, or recommendations on a clear and articulate Dimarzio humbucker would be great.

Many thanks.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Re: Recommend something to me
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:16:00 AM »
Have you thought about something medium output like a Fred or PAF Pro in the bridge? Also, you could do two Pros, or  fred bridge PAF Pro in the neck. I prefer the fred in the bridge, but the PAF pro works great as a bridge pu. Both have clarity, but can be powerful as well.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline Related to rocks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 10:26:34 PM »
Many thanks, I will check out both of those pickups.

BluesJam

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 04:31:09 PM »
I’d recommend the EJ Eric Johnson humbuckers which have single coil tonal spectrum.  Humbucker from Hell has an openness too.

If your used to Strat tones but want a humbucker in the ballpark tonal spectrum, these may be an option.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:36:01 PM by BluesJam »

Strangeman86

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:00:24 AM »
Another option, for those who like something outside the traditional humbucker realm, is the PW Hornet set from Monotone.  They're incredibly musical and have versatility in spades.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »
Another option, for those who like something outside the traditional humbucker realm, is the PW Hornet set from Monotone.  They're incredibly musical and have versatility in spades.

Been a fan of the Mojotone hornet set. Like you said, very versatile. Nicely voiced and a most capable humbucker set.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram