PAF '59

• 11 Replies

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
PAF '59
« on: October 08, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
So I look at the PAF '59 and get a little confused. The marketing jargon starts by saying they used Larry's '59 Les Paul cherry sunburst as the reference. I thought that was what they did for the 36th anniversary paf.

They really DO need some new blood in marketing. Also, if you already have a set that used your guitar as a reference, then why do ANOTHER set that uses your guitar as a reference.

Needless to say I am more than a little confused on this one.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: PAF '59
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 05:09:01 PM »
From what I understand, the 36th set was an attempt to make a set SOUND like his old PAF set, using more modern technology. The Paf 59 set was an attempt to make a set that was more PHYSICALLY accurate to the older PAF type pickups. I have tried both, and still have only the 36th set...

marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 01:41:49 AM »
+1

36 and 59 shoot for the same target in two markets: “Built better than they used to be”, and “Built like they used to be.”

I don’t pretend to understand why two pickup sets aiming for the same sound coexist while Dimarzio refuses to produce the VPAF and VHPAF on the grounds that they’re “too similar” to the one they’re already double-dipping with.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 06:39:01 AM »
From what I've heard from other vpaf and vhpaf were really good sounding pickups too. On one hand, it would make think they are running lean to keep cost down, but then they keep two pickups which really seem to hit the same target.

I could be wrong on this, but it seems their catalog had more in the 80s. Like I said. I could be wrong on that one. And without an 80s catalog, probably am.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
The VPAF and the VHPAF and the 36th bridge are all good pickups. The neck versions of those aren’t quite as lively as I’d personally care for, but a lot of players do like the neck versions a lot and DiMarzio should take note.

The PAF Master set and the PAF 59 set were both incredibly disappointing when I didn’t think they met up to the marketing.

DiMarzio is known a little more for innovative approaches to the end result. Them trying to make a “59” the same way they did in Kalamazoo would be like me thinking I can use a microwave to cook griddle cakes like they did out on the cattle drive.

I’m not sure if Gabby is Larry’s daughter or granddaughter or niece or whatever. But she seems the most enthusiastic and should be doing more in the marketing and promotions than just social media. Some fresh blood would help out a lot.

Also, DiMarzio is the only major pickup company that I can think of that takes “customer favorite” models totally off the menu to zero availability.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »
I remember liking the Virtual Hot Paf and Virtual PAF neck when they came out way back when, but I recently found a used Virtual Hot Paf and thought I would try it again. I couldn't believe how artificial it sounds to me now. I don't know whether my taste in pickups has just changed, or it was just because I had it in another guitar, but what I remembered as a 3-d sound just sounds "fake" to me now.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »

The PAF Master set and the PAF 59 set were both incredibly disappointing

I really like the Master bridge, and I've seen people who really like the '59, so YMMV.  People who really like the '59 seem to be 'traditional PAF' cork sniffer types. 

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
So it is a little more clear. If you look at the hype, they make it clear as mud. I was looking for a Dimarzio pu that would knock out the Duncan 59 as my favorite neck 'bucker. I like the kind of noodly soloing tone with an almost single foolish vibe it does in the neck. Any suggestions?

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 12:40:49 PM »
They aren’t a huge operation. I worked there for a short while. They do make a lot of pickups every day. They make a lot of pickups for Ibanez and Ernie Ball. Pretty much all their OEM pickups.

The thing that impressed me most was how many custom pole pieces and magnets they use. It makes Duncan pickups seem very generic (not that they aren’t also good)

I’m guessing that they dropped models that didn’t sell well.

They will make custom orders if you want something they don’t currently make. They still know how and have all the parts.

I don’t know who Gabby is, but Larry’s daughter is the CEO. I never met Larry or Steve when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
pu that would knock out the Duncan 59 as my favorite neck 'bucker. I like the kind of noodly soloing tone with an almost single foolish vibe it does in the neck. Any suggestions?

Duncan Antiquity
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Mew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »
This would be really really good pickup for me (bridge one).
Right in between 36th PAF and Air Classic.
Would be really really good for me.
Shame it's only made in G-space, and no F-space. -.-

Yeah.
I really really like B/M/T - 6 / 6 / 5
And output around 230-235 MV
So Air Classic has that "mid hole" which I hate ....
Like , it has 5.5 - 4 - 5.5 ... I hate that.
And 36th is too HOT and tiny bit fatter.
So something with 6-6-5 BMT and output around 230-235 would be sick.

I really have problems with midds in pickups like that.

Everyone is forcing pickups like 36th PAF bridge, and Bare Knuckle Black Dog.
That honky FAT HOT PAFs.

And midd-less PAFs like Air Classic, Duncan 59, Gibson 57 Classic.

But nothing in between this two cathegories.

Something in between this two would be awesome. :)
But zero people make that stuff.

Hm ... Maybe 36th PAF Neck in bridge? Would that be cool? :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:31:55 PM by Mew »

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 11:45:46 PM »
"Something in between this two would be awesome. "

Lollar Imperial.  Neither scooped nor mid forward.