Pickup Swap

• 4 Replies

Offline shupe13

• View Profile
Pickup Swap
« on: October 30, 2019, 07:04:09 PM »
I recently purchased an Ibanez Jem Jr used but absolutely mint for $350 with a hardshell case. The guitar was awesome out of the gate. I dropped an Original Floyd Rose and Schallers in it and it absolutely shreds except... The stock Quantum pickups, well the bridge anyway is too shrill.

I'm contemplating an Air Norton, True Velvet, Tone Zone combo. I love everything from southern rock to metal to worship. Will these cover the spectrum?

I really liked the Crunch Lab and Liquifire in my JP but what would work well in the middle?

All suggests welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Pickup Swap
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
How much do you actually use the middle pickup?

The Tone Zone, True Velvet and Air Norton is a tried and true combo that you cant go wrong with. It is however on the darker and fatter side tonally. You may be better off with a Norton, True Velvet and Air Norton if you want something with a bit more versatility.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

BluesJam

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
FS1 would be fatter in the middle and have more output.  Hence, you may be able to lower the pickup more for picking room.

Offline shupe13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 01:22:56 PM »
How much do you actually use the middle pickup?

The Tone Zone, True Velvet and Air Norton is a tried and true combo that you cant go wrong with. It is however on the darker and fatter side tonally. You may be better off with a Norton, True Velvet and Air Norton if you want something with a bit more versatility.
I like using all the positions. Forces me to think outside of the box.

I'm thinking darker and fatter is what I looking for. Thanks.

Offline shupe13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 01:24:36 PM »
FS1 would be fatter in the middle and have more output.  Hence, you may be able to lower the pickup more for picking room.
Thank you.