Mojotone PW Hornet bridge...

• 1 Replies

Strangeman86

Mojotone PW Hornet bridge...
« on: November 19, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »
I've been thinking about how to phrase this pickup description since I put it in my new guitar (I'm not trying to brag by any stretch, but this guitar turned out to be the best sounding instrument I've put together yet  :madness: ).  I feel like a lot of pickups claim that they do this differently or that differently than every other comparable pickup on the market, etc...  But I personally have never laid ears on a humbucker that could legitimately claim it had such differing response on the high and low strings (even though I've heard many that claim it).  The Hornet, however, does this easily.  As Darth Phineas stated in his review (on his website) the slugs under the plain strings and the screws under the wound strings isn't just snake oil, it actually works.  The medium-hot wind (11k ish) and whatever other techniques Mojo' utilized also contribute to fantastic clarity (or note separation, however you'd like to think of it) and dynamic response.  The wound strings have great depth and some serious PUNCH with a bit of piano quality (for real folks, this pickup kicks like a terminator-mule).  The high strings are beautifully jangly and open.  The contrast helps complex chords ring true.  I imagine in some folks setup this pickup might sound a bit boxy, and while it does chug beautifully it's meant to be much more expressive than just peeling paint.  If you're looking for something TRULY different than you're average humbucker, a pickup that isn't trying to relive the glory of something else, but really strives to carve its own niche in the sonic landscape...  Check out the PW Hornet.  I feel like this pickup is too often overlooked.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Mojotone PW Hornet bridge...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
First off, thanks for the reference.

When Mojo first suggested the Hornet set, I was a little curious as it is a signature model and I knew nothing of the artist or the band. What I did google about the band had me expecting a garden variety narrowly-focused result. However...the Hornet set is super versatile and very surprising. I still remember that it wanted me to not put the guitar down.

Super cool to hear that you are liking it.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram