Breed Neck/Bridge in Ibanez S-type

• 3 Replies

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
Breed Neck/Bridge in Ibanez S-type
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:52:44 PM »
Ibanez S-types are notoriously thin-bodied guitars. I've got a JS-1000 (a little thicker than the S models) and  I'm eyeing a an SV flametop.
I'm wondering if the Breeds 'fatness' will compliment the S body type.

Any thoughts?

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Breed Neck/Bridge in Ibanez S-type
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:43:37 AM »
The Ibby S series is thin, but they're generally made of decently dense mahogany with a maple top - a lot like a maple-topped SG, kinda bright but with really forward mids. The Breeds will sound hella fat in one, but I'd be worried that they'd get too honky. Maybe something like the Transitions that are a little more controlled in the midrange? I'd be looking for pickups that have a tamed top end rather than boosted lows or mids, as that will complement the natural tendencies. Whatever you'd put in an SG would work well in an Ibby S, and I like Tim from Bare Knuckle's philosophy: either something that's very vintage-output to let it breathe and keep the midrange open, or something super high output to just brute-force your way past the honky midrange.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »
I tried the Breed set in a mahogany bodied Ibanez S470, a mahogany PRS Santana SE, and a basswood Ibanez RG , and did not like them in either. They seemed very boring, underpowered, and unimpressive. I put the same set in my Alder Jackson DK2M and they came to life. Bridge screams, and the neck has some bubbly Les Paul character to it. I think you have to get those in the right guitar.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 06:09:32 AM »
I think you have to get those in the right guitar.

That is the case with almost any pickup but some seem to be more picky about the guitars they are in than others.

Actually I had the bridge in a very bright guitar and it sounded - not so bright. Not thin but not really aggressive either. Good but not great and not really complimenting the Air Norton which I had in the neck spot at that time. Put it then into a guitar with a mahogany body and liked it better there. The neck is in that very bright guitar in the neck spot now and sounds to me everything but underpowered. This guitar now has a Super Distortion in the bridge which I think is a good match to the Breed neck.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b