Hello! Another pickup question for rg670!

• 4 Replies

Offline Lazy808

• View Profile
Hello! Another pickup question for rg670!
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:10:25 PM »
Hello! I am sure this is a tired subject but I want some advice for my light ash rg670. Any suggestions for pickup replacement? It’s an hsh model in a light ash body. I am looking for more of a les paul thicker sound more vintage style. I am not so much into super high gain shredding but do like some guys. I am more into di Meola, schenker, gambale, gary Moore, and thin Lizzy style 70’s rock. Any suggestions besides buying a les paul? Lol. It has v7 and v8 pickups now . Thanks!

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Hello! Another pickup question for rg670!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 01:25:31 AM »
Breed neck and bridge, with something like an FS-1 or SDS-1 (I'd go with the SDS personally) in the middle. The Breed set was made for Steve Vai because he wanted his JEM to sound like a Les Paul - the JEM is alder, generally, and otherwise basically the same spec as any RG, so you should get similar results with your 670. The SDS-1 is designed to be something P90-like in a Strat-sized housing, so in the middle position on its own or split with the Breed set, it should give you some cool sounds in the vein of what you're looking for.
I will say that these pickups, especially the Breed set, is a little more "modern"-voiced, but aimed at more "vintage" sounds, so I think it should work for you pretty well.

Offline Lazy808

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 03:47:29 AM »
That sounds good! That’s the second recommendation for the breed I have heard. Looks like it’s out of production though. Any second recommendations?

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 01:27:02 PM »
You can still get it special-order. Same price, same pickup, just takes a week or two.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 05:32:53 PM »
Yeah, for what you describe, the Breed set sounds like what you would like. I've never tried the set in Ash, but I have them in an Alder Jackson DK2M, and they are great. I have never used a middle pickup with that set, but Dimarzio has a lot of flavors to choose from.