HSS pickups in a Tele......what pots to use???

• 4 Replies

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
HSS pickups in a Tele......what pots to use???
« on: July 24, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
Hi guys, building a Warmoth Tele with HSS pickups. I have a strat pickguard with Area 61/Area 67/PAF 36Th Anniversary and i'll pull the pickups and parts from that pickguard.

I am now confused as to how to allocate the two pots on a Tele instead of 3 on the strat......

And how do i match 250k and 500k pots. I could ignore the tone and just put 500k vol for the bridge hum and 250k Vol for the neck n middle but am concerned that all 3 pickups might get extra bright with no tone pot at all.

How do i solve this ? I order parts tonight and glad that i thought of this!
Looking forward to your wisdom!
Thanks

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: HSS pickups in a Tele......what pots to use???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
You could do the old resistor trick to make the splits and singles see 250k even with a 500k pot (you'll have to ask someone else how to do that, I actually kind of like singles with 500k), or you could pick either a bridge hum that likes 250k (something like the Bluesbucker, Humbucker from Hell, or EJ Special) or singles that like 500k (the VV Heavy Blues 1 and 2, IIRC).

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 07:55:08 AM »
With that pickup combination you would probably be fine with 250ks for volume and tone. That's what I would try first, and only if the humbucker is not bright enough I would go to 500k as volume pot and use the resistor trick to tame the Areas.

BTW I would use the 67 in the neck and the 61 in the middle but that is your call.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:28:44 PM »
I was going to suggest a 250k pot as well.
Most people prefer the 500k with humbuckers but I’m the exception. I almost always prefer 250k pots. The difference is more subtle than internet lore would have you believe. All it’s going to do is shave a tiny bit of high end off.
And if you don’t like it a 500k pot is an easy install.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »
I agree on the 250k volume. I have guitars that have 'buckers with 250k and some w 500k. Not terribly different. I am using a 500k with my vvhb2 though and love it in that guitar with that pot value. Go figure.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else