Dimarzio HB that sounds the most like a Pre-B1?

• 4 Replies

Offline boodle

• View Profile
Dimarzio HB that sounds the most like a Pre-B1?
« on: July 09, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Looking for pickup suggestions from people who have some experience with a pre-B1 and a variety of Dimarzio HB's.

The reason for the search:
I have an Alder/Maple tele that has a pre-B1 in the bridge.  They sound fantastic together. 
I have another alder/maple guitar (let's call it the "Orange Guitar", since it is orange) with a 36th Anniversary Neck in the bridge position and I find myself wanting a bridge sound similar sound to the pre-B1 in the bridge. 

I am also hoping for a humbucker with a good solid split coil sound.  I would be happy to have either the split sound or the humbucking sound be very similar to the Pre-B1.  I can see advantages of going either way.  Looking for suggestions on Dimarzio HB's that would fit the bill.

What I like about the pre-B1: very solid lows and mids with still enough treble to cut through (plenty of muscle, yet still has clarity without being too bitey), very responsive to picking dynamics.

Clarifiers:
1. I know that a single coil and a humbucker will have inherent, unavoidable sonic differences due to the physics behind their designs.
2. I'm not interested in just putting a pre-B1 in the Orange Guitar because it is routed for a humbucker and I don't like the looks of those HB to single cover plates.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio HB that sounds the most like a Pre-B1?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 07:12:02 AM »
Off the top of my head, maybe a Humbucker from Hell or a Bluesbucker might get you somewhat close without splitting.

Offline boodle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
HTF,
Thanks for the reply.  The Bluesbucker might be headed in the right direction.

The Pre-B1 has a sonic profile of B6 M6.5 T6.5.
The Bluesbucker is B4.5 M5.5 T6 and is the ball park.

I think that the HFH would be too bright looking at the sonic profile.

Have you owned all three of those pups (Pre-B1, HFH, and Bluebucker) to describe your experience?

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
HTF,
Thanks for the reply.  The Bluesbucker might be headed in the right direction.

The Pre-B1 has a sonic profile of B6 M6.5 T6.5.
The Bluesbucker is B4.5 M5.5 T6 and is the ball park.

I think that the HFH would be too bright looking at the sonic profile.

Have you owned all three of those pups (Pre-B1, HFH, and Bluebucker) to describe your experience?

I haven't gotten a chance to try a Pre-B1, but I messed around on a friend's Bluesbucker-B/HFH-N Tele a while back and it definitely had the Tele-with-more-power thing nailed pretty well. The HFH would be a little bright in the bridge, but if you find the Bluesbucker a little dark for you then it might work out well.

Offline boodle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »
Thx for sharing your experience.  That helps!