Les Paul looking for foreigner tone

• 10 Replies

Offline Neardark72

• View Profile
« on: July 07, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
Hey guys,

Always wanted to have a Gibson LP but couldn’t afford it. Now that I finally got the money, the video release of « Play authentic »  Kind of turned me off and makes me wan’t to build my own « Authentic » LPaul mohagony with flame maple top.
Been trying to find the perfect humbucker for getting the classic rock tone that could fit sort of
Foreigner Juke box hero / feels like the first time
Tesla- change in the weather 
Cinderella- Gypsy Road
Well that kind of sound.

They quite all use Gibson pickups but being Authentic makes me wan’t to explore the DiMarzio avenue.

Thank you
Any recommendations?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Les Paul looking for foreigner tone
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:30:34 AM »
Duncan: Seth Lover or Antiquity
Mojotone: 59 Clone
Brandonwound: 59 Clone
BKP: Mule, Riff Raff, or (maybe Abraxas)
Pariah: PAF60
DiMarzio: Virtual PAF or 36th Anniv
Fralin: Pure PAF
Jim Wagner: Godwood or American Steel
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

BluesJam

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »
Maybe a Super Distortion bridge and PAF Master in neck

Mick Jones ran his vintage humbuckers straight to the jack.  A SD would get you close to that tone with standard wiring.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:35:47 PM by BluesJam »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
Not for nothing, but who else see the irony of someone NOT wanting to use a Gibson product because Gibson wants to enforce its rights over certain legal properties...and asks for opinions about pickups from DiMarzio, who is also widely known to enforce their rights over certain legal properties.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »
Lmao.
I’m both a Gibson and Dimarzio fan. As well as Duncan etc...etc. 
I’m not a fan of the video Gibson put out but whatever.
It’s not going to stop me from playing my current Gibson’s or buying another.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
Lmao.
I’m both a Gibson and Dimarzio fan. As well as Duncan etc...etc. 
I’m not a fan of the video Gibson put out but whatever.
It’s not going to stop me from playing my current Gibson’s or buying another.

^^^ this ^^^

BluesJam

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »
Post authentic.

Offline Neardark72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 05:20:16 AM »
Well send Darth, After the flowers, the pot.

I didn’t know about it.

But thanks for the first reply, It was gold. I will check info for those

Offline MW-AB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:23:19 AM »
Gibson hired Mark Agnesi earlier this year and one of the first things he did was to have a temper tantrum online.
This speaks to me of the state of mind of Gibson as a company.
It does alter my perception of the company and it does forcibly inject itself into my guitar buying decision making process.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »
I'm cool with any company defending their trademarks in a timely fashion, because they absolutely get to.

But Gibson's had literally 40 years and by now the Explorer and V are common enough that they lost an EU case for the V trademark like last week. They're just throwing a hissy fit and threatening smaller builders, and as a consumer I don't really wanna support business practices like these with my money.  I feel kinda bad for Mark tbh because I feel like Gibson knew it wasn't gonna go down well and threw him under the bus a little.

As for the Dimarzio trademarks and patents, they didn't ignore say Duncan making double cream JBs for 40 years and then seek damages in court, and if they did I'd have the same reaction.

Trademarks need active defense and use, and Gibson's been terribly spotty on both.

/rant, just my $0.02

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 03:43:23 PM »
Trademarks need active defense and use, and Gibson's been terribly spotty on both.

as has DiMarzio.

first off, yes, Gibson looks really bad right now.  they guy that made the video should be out of a job and whoever gave him that green light to make that video might should be in the unemployment line with him.  from as near as I can tell in the articles that have been published, the lawsuit against Dean started when Henry was still in charge... now, it is curious if the new guy didn't know about it or didn't have the power to stop it or was OK with it going ahead.  of course, Dean might be an easy target, as the new guy in charge has made a few bush league mistakes which can be tantamount to chumming the waters.

at the end of the day, Gibson isn't going anywhere.  they survived decades of Henry and they'll survive a little bad press.

as for DiMarzio's enforcement of it's double cream and "PAF".  honestly, I don't care.  the law of the land allowed DiMarzio to gobble up rights to things they didn't invent or name or whatever you want to call it.  so be it.  a lot of people find it intellectually vacuous and I also see their point.  there are people that literally make a living from buying up the rights to things and cashing in on the licensing of it.  some people think that requires a certain moral flexibility and they aren't wrong in their take on it.

the bottom line is that DiMarzio didn't come up with double cream or "PAF".  and DiMarzio doesn't go after everyone that crosses those lines any better than Gibson does in the examples previously provided in this thread.  but more so when DiMarzio determines a company crosses an imaginary line that makes them a threat to something DiMarzio owns but didn't make... which makes it even more ludicrous.

so yes, I maintain that opting that putting a DiMarzio in a LP clone because of this is humorously ironic.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:18:25 PM by DarthPhineas »