Thoughts and Opinions on Yamaha?

• 6 Replies

Offline The_Spell

• Now this is goodbye, 'cause you're wasted again
    • View Profile
Thoughts and Opinions on Yamaha?
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:41:21 AM »
Hi, Everyone,

Just wanted to get a quick opinion from a few people first hand about Yamaha guitars.

The AES 720 and the TBDX Basses caught my eye due to their pretty gnarly body shapes. The raised hourglass body in gunmetal of the 720 looks pretty sweet, but do these instruments really sound as great as they look?

If possible, I love my ESP axes. How would a 350 - 400 range ESP compare to the same price range of Yamaha in make, build quality, playability, and stock sound?

Thanks in advance!
Rock/Metal player
Guitars: ESP-LTD EC-256, ESP-LTD Vipre 200-B, ESP-LTD F414FM, ESP V-50 custom bass
Amps: Fender Mustang GT-100, Fender Rumble 100, Fender Studio 40
Pedals: Boss DS-1, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss DD-3, Boss MT-2, Behringer Fuzz, Behringer Heavy Metal

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Thoughts and Opinions on Yamaha?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:08:56 AM »
Yamaha guitars aren't bad. If you were ok with the ESP-LTD line of stuff the Korean, Indonesian and Malaysian Yamaha models might actually even come from the same factory.

If you dig the shape and feel of the guitar but not the sound, there's a lot you can do by changing the pickups if you don't like the tone.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »
They make solid if not particularly exceptional (not in quality but in character) instruments. The mid-range stuff is really good bang for your buck, and if you can find some of the used MiJ stuff, they're really good instruments.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
I owned a couple of Pacificas back in the day and had no complaints. I also have an old Yamaha 12 string acoustic that is a great guitar.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 05:07:42 AM »
I still own a Yamaha LD-10E which I bought in the early 90s to play bluegrass with. Great stage guitar, very reliable and good sounding. Unfortunately when I wanted to use it in a country rock setting 10 years later I found that the preamp had died and they were not making them anymore. So I had to switch to another system and haven't used the guitar much since.

I also had a BB series bass which was great as well. Wish I still had it.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:14:00 PM »
I dunno, Yamaha electrics have always felt to me like a bunch of parts stuck together, not an organic whole. Their tone, while not bad, has no real personality. Like a guitar built by engineers with no real guitar player input.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 08:31:42 PM »
I dunno, Yamaha electrics have always felt to me like a bunch of parts stuck together, not an organic whole. Their tone, while not bad, has no real personality. Like a guitar built by engineers with no real guitar player input.
I mean yeah but they're built like tanks generally. A buddy had his amp fall on his Revstar and the guitar just had a finish ding.

WARNING: please please please don't try this at home though. Just because you can theoretically get away with it doesn't mean you should do it.