High gain Screamer for Alder

• 12 Replies

Offline Storm Within

• View Profile
« on: June 29, 2019, 03:05:52 PM »
I'm needing a chunky screamer for an alder 1989 ESP with a maple neck and rosewood board. I'm feeling an EVO 2 or maybe a good old SD. What are you guys thinking. What about a Crunch Lab? Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

BluesJam

Re: High gain Screamer for Alder
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 03:21:56 PM »
Maybe you can give some information about your tuning preferences, music type, amplifier type, what pickup is currently in the guitar, what position neck/bridge and etc.

Mesa Boigie Triple Rectifier or EVH 5150 would make a Ukulele scream.

Wrath of nature

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 03:24:55 PM »
   The Super Distortion is a beast and a"Original" classic. From Soulfly to Godsmack to Megadeth to Judas Priest. The pickup that made me use DiMarzios period.

Evo 2 sounds is amazing and crunchy but I found tuning to In Flames hard for control because of its UNFORGIVING nature. If you got chops and beyond dedication to stick with it, things will happen. Downtuning is tricky with it. Takes time to find a place.

No ideas on a Crunch Lab. Curious myself for Mahogany maple-setneck.

Offline Storm Within

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 03:38:51 PM »
So it's running through an original 5150, Marshall 4x12 drop C#. Heavy rock/metal. I've had a mahogany San Dimas Charvel for years that I love but never really used alder and this sounds a bit thin. I've gone through every Seymour Duncan and a few DMZs over the years but I feel this ESP (that I've just acquired) needs a Dimarzio.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:56:09 PM by Storm Within »

BluesJam

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »
I agree with W.O.N.  on the Super Distortion.  It’s a tried and true original.  I had them on many guitars.  It’s arguably one of their top selling models.  But your rig can dictate on what you need for sound.  I think an SD1 and a cruiser may be a nice versatile set.  You may need some lower mids to get the thickness you want.

Do you know what pickup models are inside the guitar?  Maybe we can compare the outputs
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:08:02 PM by BluesJam »

BluesJam

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
The EVH Bridge Wolfgang pickup is 16K, so obvious you know what that’s going to sound like.

Offline Storm Within

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »

Do you know what pickup models are inside the guitar?  Maybe we can compare the outputs
[/quote]
The neck is a pretty sweet sounding pup. The bridge is quite low output. It measures about 8k on my meter. It's an original ESP bridge lh-211 according to the research I've done and it looks like a standard bridge bucker. Pretty weedy sounding IMHO. Its a sweet axe that just needs a bit more balls. Unplugged I would say it needs some low end and some scream.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 05:35:55 PM »
MegaDrive

Edit:  also, DCR is not output
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

BluesJam

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 06:42:32 PM »
If you plan on keeping the neck pickup, you may want to find out the polarization of the neck pickup.  So, when you order a pickup you won’t have any phasing issues. You could flip the wires, but if you’re buying new why not get the proper orientation..

Although DC resistance to not a true factor of output, I can safely say you probably got a vintage wind.  Super Distortion and Evolution may get you in the ballpark.  DiMarzio lists the voltage of their pickup, and you can compare output with tonality. A high output pickup may overpower your vintage wound single coil.  You may want to replace the neck pickup with a higher output pickup.   Ymmv.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:47:19 PM »
A Super D in C# is IMO gonna get muddy real fast. Maybe a Super 2 if you want that vibe, or something more modern (Crunch Lab or D-activator) with a little extra top and a little tighter bottom?

BluesJam

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 11:26:18 PM »
Check out these samples of the Super Distortion.  I think it cuts very well.  Super 2 even more.  I think the SD  will shine in you application.  The first 3 are the SD and the last on are several other high gain DiMarzios.  The Evolution sounds good, too.  YMMV

https://youtu.be/10-b-8gEymI

https://youtu.be/9qWvhsxBNds

https://youtu.be/31_BTZ2hitw

https://youtu.be/hTe__1gecII 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:37:00 PM by BluesJam »

BluesJam

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 11:54:34 PM »
Here is another clip in C tuning of the SD

https://youtu.be/zD1LCL7pdsI

Offline Storm Within

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 06:11:32 AM »
Thanks guys. Some decent information there. I'll report back when I make my mind up.